'Customising' kitchen appliances

On a related note to the one on built-in appliances being expensive....
I've recently bought a slimline dishwasher (used) to replace my old Servis Secret dishwasher whose main wash pump is on its last legs (as some of you may remember...)
Is there any reason why I shouldn't glue a panel to the front of it (or even unscrew the metal front cover and replace it entirely) so that the front matches the rest of the kitchen better? I haven't taken the front cover off yet to see how much stuff is hidden in the door but I don't suppose the wires/powder release/etc take up much room? I guess one problem might be the hinges not being strong enough to take a heavier door panel.
Any suggestions/experience?
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

I suspect it would probably invalidate the guarantee. If I were tempted to do this, I would most likely take the whole front off and have it professionally re-finished in the colour of my choice.
Colin Bignell

Well, its already second-hand (and 4 years old) so I doubt I'll be getting any joy out of the guarantee anyway! I suppose I could paint it, but it would be nicer to attach a genuinely matching front.
To other replies, I realise that there would have to be an unmatched panel at the top (and also possible the bottom) but in the context of my kitchen that might be less bad than the plain white panel.
Thanks All_Work.. for the comment about the extra weight - I was worried the hinges might be the weak point, and your cousin's experience sounds like they may rule doing it out.
Cheers,
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:55:09 +0000, David Micklem

Yes, the weight will be a problem. It *may* be possible to retension the spings to counteract this.
Would it be possible to simpy build a cupboard around the thing, instead of attaching the door?
sPoNiX
O N I X) wrote:

Nah, not enough space for a door in front of it. I'll have a look this weekend to see whether I can get at/adjust the springs. Failing that I'll give up on the idea and get used to looking at the white panel.
Cheers,
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

The best you can hope for is it convert to "semi-integrated" with a drawer line sized panel at the top, if you're lucky. The fully integrated models are quite different from free standing, as they must use electronic control (not motorised timer) with buttons in the top edge of the door. Otherwise, the controls would be visible when the door is closed.
Christian.

plinth at the bottom. On non-integrated stuff the door usually goes down much lower.
I looked into this when redoing our kitchen because I was a bit shocked by the much higher price of integrated appliances. But there isn't really a way round it that looks OK.
--
Tim Mitchell

Also teh extra weight on the door will make it open and drop pretty quickly. Same thing happened to my cousin who converted a normal dishwasher to an 'integrated'. Might break the hinges through abuse.
writes

David Micklem wrote:

I tried to convert my last DW to integrated when I installed a new kitchen. Wouldn't work. Door was too heavy and it fouled on the plinth when opening. I gave in and bought a nice Neff integrated one that swmbo wanted ...