Curved wooden archway?

I've been asked to replace a front porch, which has a half round arch above the door. I know many years ago, that curved wood was available to do such arches, but searches have given no clues as to where to get it from now. So - does anyone know where 'curved' wood can be bought now?

If it comes to it, I'll have to join up some 3x2 (or bigger) join it, then cut it round with the jigsaw. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

In message , A.Lee writes

From a bent timber merchant

Reply to
geoff

That'll be one who sells grown timber. I've never seen it in a merchant, only in ships - like the Victory, and Mary Rose - where the knees under the deck were made from branches grown to the shape.

Shipyards also steam timber, to make it possible to bend it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I did see a programme on the tv within the last couple of years where water was boiled in an oil drum and then the timber was put in for a few hours, taken out and bent to shape around pins (in the ground iirc). It may have been a recreation of an old mediaeval siege weapon.

Reply to
Nobody

My local Been & Queued has a lot of bent timber. No wonder they sponsored Ms McCarthy on her round the world sailing trip!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

My father used to make Windsor chairs and the curved top rail of the back was made by steaming the piece of wood and curving it to shape.

Reply to
Huge