Curtains - pole or track?

There are some really nice curtain poles around at the moment and, decoratively speaking, we'd much prefer some sort of ornate metal pole to the ordinary sort of (Swish?) track for our newly-decorated bedroom. However, we need blackout curtains as both of us are sensitive to, and woken up by, the bright light coming in on a morning - ok during the winter months where it's still dark at 6.30am when our alarm clock goes off, but hellish in summer when it's light at about 4am!

I'm assuming this means that a pole is ruled out as it'll stand away from the window more than a track would, therefore allowing more light in around the edges? Or does anyone know different? Any recommendations from anyone on minimising light ingress but still looking decoratively good?

TIA, Dave

Reply to
Dave

blackout roller blind set against window? (good for thermal too) works well for the kids' rooms..

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Hmm.... hadn't thought of roller blinds so thanks for that Jim, we'll give that a coat of looking at :o)

Reply to
Dave

If you set the pole a good few inches higher than the top of the window, and make it wider by say 6 or more inchs either side, then the amount of light that can spill in will be much reduced. Having a dark colour lining on the curtains also helps.

Reply to
John Rumm