Curtain rail lubricant

I have some curtains operated by strings, and they have become rather difficult to pull. What lubricant should I use? The rails and hooks appear to be made of plastic.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

We used a silicone spray. The rails need wiping from time to time to remove compressed dust.

Well, they do in our house!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) contains these words:

Silicone furniture polish works will - you know, the lavender stuff in a tin. Use the tip of your finger to poke a bit into the grooves and it'll soon run as free as before.

Reply to
Guy King

I use wax. Usually one of the blocks that came with my various diving suits but sometimes a candle. They all work well on both wood and plastic rails.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

I've used furniture polish in the past.

Reply to
Bob Eager

WD 40 sprayed onto a clean rag and then wiped over the curtain rail.

Reply to
Brian G

Mr Sheen works pretty well

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've used that type of thing for wood rails successfully. I would stay away from anything liquid, as in that stays liquid, as it'll trap dirt and become a sticky mess. Sometimes just a clean is all thats needed to get things running again.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Richard Tobin wrote on 26/11/2006 :

Wax from a candle rubbed on works well, as does silicon spray or furniture polish.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I used this on some very non-slidy wooden rails with rings about eight years ago. It has lasted all these years without needing a reapplication.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

In message , Richard Tobin wrote

Rub a candle on the top edge of the rail

Reply to
Alan

Pledge, Mr Sheen etc are all silicon based and work fantastic. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Turtle wax works.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Anything containing silicone will work a treat. Mr Sheen, Back to Black, Cockpit Spray, most furniture polish. Or Silicone Spray id you can find it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman