Curtain pole "thingy"

Just a quick query. Does anyone know where I can get one of those double-ended screw jobbies that you connect the separate pieces of pole together with. Or more to the point - what are they called so I can do a search for myself?

Many thanks,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

Woodfit, Isaac Lord, have them So does Screwfix (I think).

(can never remember the name though).

try giving Isaac Lord's trade counter a call. they are very helpful people.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think its called a dowel screw.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes it is screwfix 12823 0r 12400

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks folks - have found what I wanted.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

Strictly speaking "dowel screws" are asymmetric. One's a woodscrew, the other's a machine screw thread. They're the things used with wingnuts to make demountable bits on furniture, or with brass acorns to hold coffin lids down.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

ISTR that they were also used on naff 50s/60s style tapered legs for coffee tables, radiograms (and Dansette record player types of thing) etc. You could buy sets of legs of various lengths and mounting plates which splayed the legs. A bit of Fablon 'neatly' finished off the job.

They were also used for divan bed legs (tapered too!), with casters.

They weren't necessarily asymmetric (or even asymimperial(!) ) - various combinations of ends were available, although in actual fact, the "dowel" bit suggests a wood-to-wood connection, i.e. a woodscrew to woodscrew.

Reply to
Frank Erskine