current into KW

If contacts are rated at 6A non resistive, what KW will they switch?

Reply to
PJ

At what voltage? I'm guessing mains - so 240 AC. If that is the case, then they'll switch 6x240 = 1440W (1.4kW).

Reply to
Grunff

Power = voltage * current.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It depends entirely on the voltage.

Volts * amps = watts (for a resistive load)

If you mean at mains voltage then the answer is:- 6 * 230 which is 1.38kW

(BTW I assume you mean 'resistive' not 'non resistive')

Reply to
usenet

At 132Kv, a tad shy of a megawatt....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, for DC. I'm talking 240ac

Reply to
PJ

Yes, thanks all. I was talking 240vac.

Thanks for the answers.

Reply to
PJ

Still works for AC: P=V(rms) * I , but for resistive loads only.

Reply to
Grunff

Thank g for that! I thought this thread was going superconductive :-)

Reply to
dave

though even with 3mm contact separation, there's a vague possibility of flashover ;-)

Reply to
stefek.zaba