Cupro-fit or Speedfit?

Hi,

Quick question. I need to modify some pipework in our CH system on the primary and secodnary side. Want to do it with the minumum of fuss and maximum of speed due to the cold weather. Was going to use 22m copper pipe with either Speedfit or Cuprofit connectors. Which would you chaps recommend?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

None. Conex compression joints.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They are both fine. Cuprofit look nicer, so use them if they are on show. Speedfit are a little easier to make/demount.

Reply to
Grunff

They are not. Push fit is problematic. Best use proper fittings.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Indeed it is for the bodger. It requires a modicum of skill to prepare the pipe end correctly. Which you apparently lack - as many readers of this group will remember well. Known throughout newsnet as 'The dribble hacksaw incident' and a source of much merriment where the high and mighty gather.

That would be end feed capillary when using copper. Again, requires rudimentary skills. But the neatest, best performing and most economical joint where disassembly isn't required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no personal experience of Cuprofit. If using the previous Speedfit make sure you fit the collet clips for security and make sure there cannot be any bending force on the joint. Potentially a problem when connecting to a rigid copper pipe. Not used them but I assume the current locking endcaps are better and are a response to a perceived or real design weakness. Personally I would use Hep, or even better the "old style Hep" with the stainless steel grab rings. Never had CH leak problem using a mix of copper pipe, poly pipe and an assortment of "old " and "new" Hep.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I've just fitted a new central heating system using mainly speedfit. Had

1 failure where the rubber O ring seal inside a T fitting moved out of it's slot, but this was probably due to me not feeding the pipe end in squarely due to the poor access. Stripped fitting down re-seated O ring, re-filled and OK. I would use speedfit again. Gary
Reply to
Gary

Will you please eff off as you a complete idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know this is DIY, but you guys should take notice of the professionals with more experience of these matters.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know that push fit plumbing systems are disliked by some people but Ive not had any issues so far. I didnt want to start a war just some useage advice.

Sounds like either type will be ok and caveat on speedfit is to use collet clips to deter any tamperings from kids etc.

I am always very careful and use wheel cutters, new pipe etc.

Surely pushfit cant be that bad. Ive just bought a shower pump that had speedfit built in and most new builds seem to use it throughout from the riser upwards.

Talking to a chap from speedfit technical a while back, I quizzed him about failures etc. He mentioned that the issue is mainly with professionals rushing the job and not taking due care and attention.

Years ago I used to use compression fittings and they can be a pain, sometimes weeping, boss paste etc. Then trying to do soldered joints without dry pipes etc.

I have never used cuprofit but it looks tamper proof and a bit neater maybe. Speedfit on the other hand always seems to create a very secure joint.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Probably still economical even if very occasional disassembly is required. What's the cost multiple of end feed capillary vs proprietory?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The are highly problematic. Many professionals will just not use them. They use plastic pipe but with Conex compression joints.

New builds use it so the Pikeys don't steal the copper, and the skill level is low so inexperienced men can fit it and one qualified man passes it.

He would say that. Many professionals have had ceilings drop in on them causing 20Ks worth of damage.

"Good" quality compresison joints don't leak and are easy to fit using the right spanners.

Work some more with it and see what you think. I know no professional that fits plastic on sites that would have it in his house.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Very, very small.

Looking at some prices on toolstation, I see that typically, you'll get

8-18 end feed things, for the cost of one push-fit.

Of course, you can almost always safely reuse end-feed, by simply warming it up, tapping out the old solder, and pulling a damp cotton rag through while hot.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

so no need to pay nearly twenty times more than one has to...

Even better. And copper can be recycled at the end of its life with the possibility of small financial gain from rising metal prices.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you mean the cost differential between end feed and copper push fit - quite considerable over an installation.

Screwfix prices for 100 15mm couplers are per unit:-

end feed 0.11 quid push fit 1.15 quid

So over 10 times the cost. For a one off job this won't matter much as it's likely quicker, but can matter over an entire installation. Depending on how quick you are at soldering, and how you value your time. I just prefer the security of soldered joints as well as the look. Other thing which may matter is they give a near perfect electrical connection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The self professed pro like you who cuts plastic pipe with a hacksaw and floods the entire street?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I second Garys views. In my experience Speedfit is fine if you assemble it carefully - I had a couple of o-rings move out of place the first time I used it, but have the nack now.

My local Plumb Centre claim to sell approx 40% copper to 60% plastic pipe and fittings, so it can't be that bad!

Reply to
Humpty Dumpty

Will you lease eff off as you a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is why we always ignore you.

Reply to
John Rumm

At least we have your plumbing to water it.

Reply to
John Rumm