Cuprionol fence paint on concrete?

We have concrete posts and wooden fence panels.

It would be nice to have the posts and panels the same colour.

Has anyone used fence paint on concrete posts with good results?

We have used Cuprinol Garden Shades on the panels.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

On Friday 26 July 2013 11:29 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm interested in the answer too :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd imagine the result would be disastrous unless you spilt some onto a concrete path where it might bond spectacularly well just to be awkward.

Usually concrete requires a masonry paint designed to bind onto an alkaline surface. Try it and see on a piece of scrap material. It might work but my instinct is that it will fail to make a decent bond.

Incidentally does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor furniture wood preserver that doesn't require redoing every year? Has to be safe for use on picnic benches and to be user friendly for sitting on too.

The items in question include various picnic benches at the Village Hall out in all weathers and the recent winters seem able to strip these new fangled eco friendly finishes off with ease :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

Probably best to use an cement primer first to deal with the alkaline problem. But there might not be much depth of colour in the cuprinol if it's designed to let the grain show through. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We have decided to try a bit and see how it goes.

It is unlikely to look quite the same because of the different substrate, but could be a better match than trying to mix the colour in masonry paint.

Will report back.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Just repainted a gate with Gardenshades, the last painting was about

10 years ago and that had all worn off.

The new garden shades is not the same as the old. The new has no wood preservative ingredient and is more of a film forming paint thing than the old which was more a soak into the wood stain. Hence the comment above about it wearing out rather than flaking/peeling off.

The grain shows through the new Gardenshades a bit but that is probably more down to the grain be raised by age and weathering.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Tim Watts writes

Only because I sprayed the panels and it became easier to spray the posts as well Not very successful really and over time it gradually washes off.

Reply to
bert

Its semi transparent and probably would not make it look a lot different I'd say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hum, the Cuprinol Garden Shades "Black Ash" I've just used is pretty opaque and film forming compared to the old Cuprinol Garden Shades "Black Ash", that was more like a stain.

The new only contains terbutyn an algicide the old stuff had three chlorophenol type compounds for fungal and algae control. I guess the compounds used in the old worked and have now been banned...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about finding some concrete-coloured wood paint for the panels?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I set in concrete H posts & gravel boards ... and made my own fence panels. I mixed up some 'test pots' of Sandtex smooth until I got a good match to fence colour .... and painted posts with that ...

47 of them .... but that was well over 10 years ago and still looking fine ... fence needs a re-coat this year.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have painted cuprinol (green) onto concrete posts - still looks fine after 3 years - has faded a little though. It's easy to "slosh" on as is so thin too.

Reply to
dave

I have just used Curprinol Garden Shades (sage) on my fence, tried a bit on the concrete post, the colour looks exactly same on the fence, it's brilliant! the problem is how long it will last, as I read a message here, a guy said his concrete looks good after 3 years. so I'm going to try. I'll let all of you know when the paint starts to fade, if I can still find this website. Leng

Reply to
Leng

The first lot should be fine as it will soak in. Whether it fades or not who knows. If you re-coat at some stage, the concrete pores may be now blocked and it may try and form a skin like a paint would and that might not stick well. Should be several years down the line by then and you might even have moved house!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

thank you for letting me know, i won't try then.

Reply to
Leng

Mine hasn't faded or flaked-off in a year.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think what Bob said is when you re paint again, it may be having a problem.

Reply to
Leng

It seemed happy to take two coats at the time.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How is looking now? I am planning on treating out wooden fence and concrete posts over the Christmas break if this mild weather stays around!

Reply to
Sarah

The colour on concrete and wooden fence is still same (I painted them about In January/February 2015) and there is no fading on both either. Cuprionol fence paint is a good product.

Reply to
Leng