Crummy Direct Line Ad

Yes - the shell and contents policy/ies. DL may do what they say.

Reply to
polygonum

Nope, sorry Dave, you have whooshed me again. ;-(

I can't remember the last time I needed to turn the water off at the incoming stopcock, being as when I plumbed up the house I put isolators at all the key places. ;-)

Or cyber bullying people because they aren't 'special' like them and have a life outside OS's.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Its the normal buildings/contents policy. It also include emergency repairs to the heating system if you don't have an alternative. I think that includes the boiler.

Reply to
dennis

Oh indeed. Being able to cut off the mains water after say the kitchen is well worth while. And any outside feeds that are likely to freeze.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On one of the adverts for Dove products, ie soap some moisturising shower gell or whatever, I'll gloss over the fact that its obviously an american ad with a uk voice over though this is very lazy and tacky, and say this. One copy of that ad has the word Dove said in such a hurried and muffled way that many people seem to thing they are saying Dung. I wonder if they actually listen to these before they go out. My hearing is pretty good but goodness knows how it sounds on the tiny speakers in most tvs.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Top Tip

Unless you can spot the obvious (such as an outside meter cabinet) then just ask them "Where do you top up your electricity?"

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Ouch! :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Full flow of water from broken ball c*ck vs overflow leads to

ARW

You need to know where the corner shop is?

Reply to
dennis

To be fair, when I first bought this house, the stop-tap didn't work, the outside stop-tap couldn't be found and I didn't fancy trying to freeze the lead pipe into the house to replace the stop-tap.

I could partially close the tap, but that only slowed the flow, so to do any plumbing around the house, I had to close it off as much as I could, put a hose from the washing machine tap out of the door and open that tap. That let water out as fast as it was coming in and kept any piping above about 15" from the floor dry.

It only finally got replaced when water started bubbling up from under the pavement outside and when it turned out to be where the lead pipe joined the main, United Utilities fixed it and installed two new stop-taps (for ourselves and our next-door neighbours), complete with covers in one of the paving slabs and for the first time I could turn it off from outside.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Forgot to add. In the case of a serious internal leak in the meantime, I'd have hammered the lead pipe shut, but most householders wouldn't be prepared for that.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Pretty damned sure you would have done something before the entire house got flooded out.

Reply to
polygonum

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Usenet is write-only for D i m .

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

replying to polygonum, john s wrote: He said the ballcock would have to be removed, should have said change the ballcock. Then the water would stop flooding the house. Who wrote this stupid script?

Reply to
john s

replying to polygonum, dickrikety wrote: In the advert if you look carefully you can see water also dripping from the ceiling as well ??? !!!! really, as the advert implies its the ball c*ck. TURN OFF THE STOPCOCK TO THE HOUSE, but folk are stupid are'nt they :((((

Reply to
dickrikety

(Is it my turn again? Oh, ok.)

Much like Homehub users.

Reply to
Scott M

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx