Crumbly plaster - is there a product to fix?

I have to fill some small holes in some generally sound plaster but some of them are old plaster with very sandy, crumbly edges - it's impossible to "clean" the edges until they are sound enough to put the usual filler on. I thought that there was some sort of liquid stuff you could paint on th seal the edges of small areas like this before putting filler on? These holes are not large at all but the edges are just too flakey to bind to with filler.

Had several houses like this. Gently hoover off the loose and then paint with PVA followed by filler. Or, decorators caulk rubbed in "by hand" will seal it followed by filler.
If it makes you feel better I've got 5 rooms (one is about 3000 sq. ft, thats right 3000!) full of holes to decorate by Feb 2004!
Merry Xmas
Tony
On 19 Dec 2003 12:02:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kime.org.uk (Philip Kime) wrote:

Would dilute PVA do ?? Stuart

I second the use of dilute PVA: paint it on thick and leave it dry fully. Should put another 10 years on its life.
Regards, NT

I'd do a couple of thin coats first to soak in properly.
--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

wrote:> > I second the use of dilute PVA: paint it on thick and leave it dry

But if its glue, wont the first coat set, and thus prevent any further ingress of further goats?
Regards, NT
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:26:40 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Nah, their horns will catch on the edges of the holes!
Seriously...that's the point of a dilute (thin) solution, isn't it...to carry it inside, and not block up the pores completely?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
(N. Thornton)

ohh, hehe :)

Yup. To maximise soak in one would put as thick a layer as poss on, meaning thick in quantity but thin in feel. Ahh, if you put the 2nd on while the 1st is still wet, I gotcha :)
Regards, NT
Sorry to be so slow in thanking people - PVA it is - I'll get some tomorrow. If it should be "watered down" - what do you suggest to do that with? Any particular recommeded brand of PVA? I assume it's all pretty much the same and will go for B&Q own-brand ...
PK
snipped-for-privacy@kime.org.uk (Philip Kime) wrote in message

water?
I hope I'm misunderstanding you - but if not, you better stay away from gas or lectrics :)
Regards, NT
Philip Kime wrote:

Water?
Go for cheapest in this application.