Croydon Tram

We can hope so. But EU immigration is only part of it. We have the extended - family - I - married - my - cousin - and - her - sister - and - her - mum - so - can - we - have - a - BIG - house - on - social - security- please? immigration as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can think of several really obvious explanations: Not enough rolling stock Signalling systems that limit tram density on the track Making higher profits through drivers managing to make more runs per shift Satisfying a public demand for fast journeys

Clearly, if the population were lower and there were fewer passengers, the tram company would reduce the number of trams or make less profit.

It's like Nigel Farage arriving two hours late for a meeting and blaming the immigrants. He was travelling out of London on the M4 on a Friday afternoon, so he should have blamed the second-homers. Or planned ahead and not left too late.

Reply to
GB

I think he must have meant inside the running rail. They use them on the DLR and when you go round a tight corner there are squeals from the wheels, which I interpret to be that the wheel flange is touching the check rail at front and back. BICBW.

Presumably the check rail will have some effect on stopping the tipping because it constrains the angle the flange can get to. It may also have a major breaking effect which would be useful in the circs. But I suppose if it's tipped too far all that happens is the flanges get snapped off.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've never seen nor heard of a check rail that is outside the running rails, the only ones I'm familiar with are on the inside of the running rails. I'm not disputing what you have said just interested to know where they are used?

Peter

PS I'm waiting for the RAIB report as they are usually excellent at getting to exactly what happened and why, albeit it will be many months away!

Reply to
Peter Andrews

WEll no. I had occasion to get from east anglia to deepest sussex for a FRiday Night performance at Chichester. I left at midday. I only just made it.

The traffic on the M25 is beyond catastrophic. There are just more people and more cars and they are all going somewhere.

It took me longer than it used to going down the A1/A41 to edgware road, and out through Putney, back in the 70s.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't the squealing simply the wheels slipping as they're forced to do because the outside wheel has to travel further than the inside wheel.

A check rail is surely normally placed opposite a gap of some sort in the ordinary rails to prevent the wheel/flange being able to get through the gap by any means. The gaps are usually in points, cross-overs, etc.

Reply to
Chris Green

You mean a four-wheel bogey will have solid axles? What about bogeys with motors?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks, that shows it nicely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They have solid axles. The wheels are conical and the contact area moves so that the wheels tend to stay on the track. The flanges hardly ever touch anything and they squeal when they do. If they didn't have sold axles you would have to steer the wheels to stay on the track.

dennis

Except when the PSA takes control (system failure, or men on the line and he needs to take it under manual and sound the horn periodically - I've seen that done once.

I know it's irregular, but it does still leave the possibility of human failure.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Correct. The Croydon trams sqeal happily in the absence of a check rail.

Reply to
Clive George

Well, according to your favourite paper, and the Brexit fanatics, we are going to eject some foreigners.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Has NY got a US background?

Over there they sometimes use the term check rail instead of the term guard rail for such a rail though even over there guard rail is the more common term along with bridge rail.

Check rails here as already noted are used on sharp bends on railways and tramways . on a sharp curve they will be installed on the inside of the inner running rail on a curve so the back of the wheel flange bears on the check rail taking some load off the front of the wheel flange of the wheel on the outer rail, and to guide wheels and axles through points and crossings where the opposite rail has to have gap. Trams running on track set into a roadway will be using grooved rail whose design effectively means it has a continuous check rail throughout.

Guard rails are installed to catch a derailed wheel set even though it will be running on the ground and hopefully steer it enough that the train stays roughly in alignment till it comes to a halt.

They are installed usually on bridges and tunnels and occasionally on an embankment where a simple derailment which may just be an inconvenience could turn into a major accident. Using them how NY describes them on a curve is rare but has been done in the early days but not AFAIK in the UK.

The are two common ways of installing them , within the running rails as shown here

or outside

and occasionally both

G Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

En el artículo , GB escribió:

This is Usenet, the natural home of the pedant and bombastic bores like TNP.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

Seems a small price to pay. One near-miss a couple months ago and ~6 people killed this week.

That track at Croydon, by the way, is reclaimed old railway track - not a custom built tram line - to save money. I think if it had been built for trams from the word go, it would be safe to say that sharp bend would not be there, given the lack of ATP on trams and the high centre of gravity on the vehicles used.

The Manchester-Bury Metrolink line is old railway track converted to tram use and there's one particular section that makes me nervous. It really doers feel as if the thing is going to derail.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

The tram has a dead man's handle, though. Unfortunately, I think he simply took the bend too fast. I'm not sure I believe that he fell asleep.

This is another incident where the driver simply took a bend too fast, killing 80 people. This was a train with no ATP (automatic train protection) fitted, only a system that warned the driver if he was going too fast.

Mike Tomlinson

On 11-Nov-16 6:54 PM, Chris Green wrote: ...

They are also used on the inside of tight curves and on both sides on bridges. The idea being that, if the outer wheel on a curve, or either wheel on a bridge, climbs over its rail, the catch rail will hold the train more or less in the right place by catching the inside edge of the flange on the other wheel. They won't stop a train turning over though.

Reply to
Nightjar

No, the accident on the bend was off the old rail track. The bend was there to leave then old rail route and join a road. Quite a lot of the route is on former railway routes - yes to save money - but not in the "penny pinching" way, but to make then best use of existing infra-structure.

Reply to
charles

The Nottingham 'NET' trams run mainly on new laid track, and have bends at least as tight as that one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Didn't know that, the "too fast" line of enquiry seems favourite now, with RAIB asking for regular passengers who might have anything to say about it, could be the driver has pushed, and pushed how fast he could take the corner, until found out it was too fast that day.

Reply to
Andy Burns