Crossover vehicle access

For what it's worth I applied recently for a dropped curb to be installed at the front of my house in a small cul-de-sac and despite the horror stories associated with only one contractor being approved to do the work the estimate came in at =A3650 which I didn't think was

*too* bad. Sure it could have been cheaper but from all the stories I was expecting a lot more. We shall see though what happens when they actually come to do the work.
Reply to
adder1969

That sounds good to me. ISTR that I paid about £400 for the same thing 25 years ago! At that time, I got several quotes - but the cheapest was a newly-privatised bit of the local council.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Before you start see if you can find out from the council when they next intend to resurface your footpath. I got them to drop my kerb while resurfacing and they charged me a nominal £50 which I was quite pleased with.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

You might have to wait a while. Despite living under the Borough of Wandsworth which was once known as the pavement capital of the UK, mine has never been resurfaced in 30 years - merely repaired. They did do the other side of the road in those pretty blocks, though. Now rather uneven. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes exactly, I'm sure it won't ever happen. The main road at the end of mine was done in recent weeks however and I thought maybe they could have done it then but the applciation wasn't processed in time.

Herts CC were in the papers not that long ago amid allegations of a monopoly over the dropped curbs and extrotionate pricing with upfront payments and delayed works. It could be that they've had to clean up their act.

Reply to
adder1969

I was recently given an estimate of ~£450 for Aberdeen, but we decided to worry about it later. Like, if we ever get a car. Damnit, I just realised we're due to have the pavements re-done anyway - have to see if I can persuade the foreman to do it anyway in the normal progress of work.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

That'll be to cover the extra cost of granite...

At one time a pavement crossing upped your rateable value. Dunno if it has any effect on Council Tax. No relevance to me with my ribbon of front garden which would barely take a moped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In our road the council offered half price crossovers when they did the pavements, probably to stop the gangs making a fortune on the side.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

SNIP

I think you mean so that they could probably subsidise the job from people wanting dropped kerbs.

Reply to
John Kenyon

I checked with the foreman as they were packing their gear away - not going to be coming round the corner into my street next week, so it's a null question. But I'll ask around anyway.

Reply to
Aidan Karley