Cross Vice

8>< of lots of useful info.

Very helpful, Peter. Thanks for helping with this. I think that the Chronos one makes good sense for what I need for the moment, especially if I can get a few other bits and pieces while I'm at it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I probably used the wrong word. The large nuts that run on the lead screws.

If everything is tightened up, especially the leadscrew shafts, even my relatively sloppy vice will do that.

Someone around here, (and I shall remain anonymous), prefers to mill plastic sheet with woodworking routers. :-)

Reply to
Tony Williams

Right. I don't care about the name, I just wanted to make sure that I understood which bit it was.

Mm.. I've done that. The only thing I've found is that it is a bit fiddly, especially with a router table.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Easy with an X-Y vice. A woodworking router is so sharp that the plastic swarf is coarse curly bits whose cutting does not heat the workpiece. The big ambush is forcing the cut, and/or allowing any hint of swarf to clog the tool..... instant meltdown of the workpiece. A vacuum cleaner nozzle clamped just behind the cutter can be very handy.

If cutting say a rectangular slot by eye, to the marking-out lines, I go round first about 1/16th back from the lines then a second finishing cut to the lines. Both times going anticlockckwise around the rectangle.

Reply to
Tony Williams