Crockery Smells from Dish Washer

Often, but not every time, my pots and glasses have quite a strong offensive smell to them after they have been washed in the dishwasher.

I can only describe the smell as "metallic" or "doggy" (which is that odd smell of some dogs particularly when they are wet!!)

I have tried eliminating particular types of metal (cutlery) but cannot track down the source.

Any else experienced the problem - know what it is, and even better - how to cure it?

Reply to
judith

Tried changing your rinse aid?

Reply to
dennis

or at least 'using' it.

Reply to
Ophelia

No! I meant dishwasher cleaner! It really makes it smell clean and fresh.

Reply to
Ophelia

yes -tried changing

Reply to
judith

Yes - I do use it

Reply to
judith

ah well, perhaps you need to try changing it?

Reply to
Ophelia

Just think for a minute or two...

put in cleaner.. switch on.. fills with water.. washes..

Then it rinses all the stuff in the wash away..

then it adds rinse aid..

Just how does the cleaner still smell afterwards? If it does what is it leaving behind that all those rinses failed to remove?

Next you will be thinking those "salt action" power balls actually do the job of the salt. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

If my dishwasher is smelly, I buy a bottle of dw cleaner and run the programme. thereafter it smells sweet! What is the problem with that?

Reply to
Ophelia

It's not actually the dishwasher - it's the water itself. We sometimes have things too big to fit in the dishwasher so wash them by hand in the sink and they smell the same. We had family visiting from a different part of the country once and they smelled it and said that they sometimes suffer the same problems.

A mate of mine works in the quality control lab of a brewery (brewery have their own wells so they don't suffer from it but he does at his house) and he reckons that it's something to do with the water company not dosing something correctly. Bottom line - I don't think you can do anything. We've never found a cure, it eventually goes away of its own accord (or when a water company operative gets the dosages correct :o))

John

Reply to
John

In article , judith writes

Does your dishwasher outlet couple directly into your sink trap? Is there any chance that a sink full of water being discharged is flushing stagnant waste water into the machine?

Reply to
fred

Some of us don't have swanky dishwasher thingy gadgets and instead have to use our hands. And sans Marigolds, if you're the male of the species.

Some of us don't have a swanky 4x4, either! ;-)

Reply to
CP

*struttety strutt*
Reply to
Ophelia

Bingo!, Our recent redesign of our kitchen put the DW the other side of the room having its own waste pipe to the outside world. No more smells! still get smeared glasses, so wash them by hand, but thats another post.

Reply to
Vass

Yes. Use some a bowl, some water, a good brush and elbow grease. You will instantly save the planet by your greener actions and eliminate canine odours at the same time.

HTH

Reply to
Crockery Squad

Some dishwashers need manual cleaning of filters, etc. Have you done this?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Similar behaviour; if I even start looking at one of those 4x4 things, I should be humane disposed of!

We do not have a dishwasher at home but I do use one at a local Bowls Club when doing my stint on bar duty. We deliberately leave the door open overnight to avoid any anaerobic bugs growing in the thing. Is it possible that infrequent use ( with the door closed between uses) is a cause?

Reply to
clot

There's a plastic matrix in the casing of the dishwasher that controls the water flow ( in and out ) of the machine - and over a period of time it gets contaminated with gunk. It's a fiddly job to remove and clean, though not difficult. I've posted the full description of the job in uk.diy previously - a google search on my name in the forum should bring it up.

Otherwise you could try placing two cups filled with vinegar in the machine and setting it on a full wash ( bung your glasses in at the same time ). Rather more controversially (?) I've found a healthy squirt of bleach in the machine followed by a full wash will both sort out the odours and go some way to cleaning out the matrix. It foams like crazy though and you'll need to run through a fair few manual cold rinses to get it all out ( a watering can with a rose works a treat! ).

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I always check the filter to see if there's any food in there as my first check. I've started to use white vinegar in the rinse aid section over the last week and my glasses are sparkling and there's no whiffs. Perhaps you could try that.

Reply to
JoJo

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:39:06 GMT, "clot" mused:

Yep, I always tend to crack the doors open on things when they're resting just to air them, washers, dishwashers, fridges (when they're unplugged) etc...

Reply to
Lurch