Crimps, heat shrink and phase/earth shorts - wtf?!

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:09:46 +0100, Ben Blaukopf mused:

You sure about that?

Reply to
Lurch

Not 100%, but the sockets I'm putting in are definitely in the kitchen, so it's pretty academic.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Screwfix. They might have a label on, but I'm upstairs with whisky and can't be bothered going down!

yes

They are staggered. There is a small bit of overlap though.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Not tried them, so can't comment... Usually get mine from CPC.

Sounds like losing the overlap would help.

Reply to
John Rumm

Finally got round to another look at this, and it took me two minutes before I realised...

Totally my fault. Complete and utter loss of brain. I'm an idiot.

I've been doing lots of work on the kitchen ring main. Which is RCD protected. The lights circuit obviously isn't, I wasn't testing it at the CU, I was just doing a quick sanity check before energising. So I carefully measured the resistance of a lightbulb and the path thence back to the earth-neutral bond in the cut-out. And yes, I can only assume I was measuring it with the switch turned on, because I was testing live, not switched live.

So while my wiring was fine, I'm currently doubting my competence to wield a screwdriver....

Clearly the "no short" bit was me not testing well enough.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf