creosote smell

My son soaked the rafters of a bedroom extension with creosote about a year ago and unfortunately the smell of the creosote is still making it impossible for my granddaughter to sleep in the room. He has emulsioned the ceiling and walls twice since then but smell continues. Does anyone know of a paint that would effectively seal the ceiling and walls to stop this smell? Thank you

Reply to
Stewart

Aluminium primer's the best bet for sealing smells. Its used after fires. It contains lots of tiny al flakes.

You might also add 2 vents to the roof space, one each side to aid airflow and avoid pressure buildup. Fit insect screen.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The aluminium paint is good but I think you'll need to apply it to the joists not the ceiling. The smell is bad because it gets so hot up there due to sun on the roof. The heat evaporates the creosote, so ventilation is good too.

Reply to
harryagain

The other thing you might do is make sure the loft trapdoor is airtight. Plus anywhere else air can transfer from loft to rooms below.

Reply to
harryagain

I suspect that anyone creosoting joists would inevitably have got some on the plaster. Or some might have oozed.

By the way, OP, is this real creosote or replacement pseudo-creosote?

Reply to
polygonum

+1

And why would one use creosote in a house? It stinks for ages... Plenty of other less pongy wood treatments if you really need them and TBH in a modern centrally heated house that isn't likely. Worm doesn't like dry timber niether do any of the rots... The only reason I can think of treating timber in an occupied and heated house is if there is active pre-existant worm/rot in older timbers. Eve then you'd treat/replace/cure that as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

Was just taking that "what's done is done" attitude. But why on earth...? Didn't it stink while he was doing it?

Maybe it will not be important, but doesn't creosote make wood burn rather well when it gets nice and hot? That is, if a house fire did occur.

Reply to
polygonum

Well I like the smell of creosote and Jeyes Fluid. SWMBO hates both. I had a secretary once who loved the smell of petrol. In the days if petrol cigar ette lighters she enjoyed the odd sniff from the little ampoules available for a refill. (They still available ? )

Reply to
fred

secretary once who loved the smell of petrol. In the days if petrol cigarette lighters she enjoyed the odd sniff from the little ampoules available for a refill. (They still available ? )

A passing whiff is fine - of creosote, Jeyes, lighter fuel, Dabitoff, .... And I used to like the smell of asphalt/tar at roadworks some distance away. But when too strong they are all intolerably foul.

Reply to
polygonum

Lots of ideas thank you. As said what is done is done, my son just did not think it through, probably got the creosote for nothing!! I shall pass on the tips.