Creosote. :¬)

So what's the best alternative to original Creosote like me Dad used to use?

Just had a load of fence posts/panells replaced and would like to giv'em a good start in life. Can't stand that "paint" that everyone uses which flakes off. Something thin and dark that will soak right in and do the trick.

Best recommendations please. :¬)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Old engine oil used to do the trick. Probably still would but modern cars are so efficient that you rarely see it :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's still possibe to find the good old fashioned creosote. Try a smaller hardware or diy type shop rather than the sheds. David

Reply to
DavidM

It's only supposed to be available to professionals and only in large drums (to dissaude DIY). There is a Creosote substitute available to the public.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

to the volatile compounds therein.

"substitute" creosote seems to be oil based, and IMO is probably more offensive smelling than the real stuff, and does not penetrate/soak in as well. The biggest pain however is the oilyness of it. As soon as your brush handle gets wet, it becomes impossible to hold. I would only use this with a spray applicator in the future.

Reply to
Vortex2

How do you define 'the general public'?

Reply to
Frank Erskine
"

I used to use creosote in the old days, when it was available. I used to mix it with a tar paint I think it was called Presomet, don't know if that's still available either., However, I used to paint my barge boards with it, and it produced a very dark matt finish which I thought was quite attractive. I would guess that Presomet mixed with Diesel or paraffin might have the same effect and probably would inhibit the growth of moulds in the timber. Don't know how toxic it is ? I used creosote regularly for most of my grown up life taking reasonable precautions of course,(am now 70) without any apparent effects. Don

Reply to
Donwill