Creeper Board - Chimney Access

Hi. I have to regularly access corners of chimneys in the line of my work, and sometimes you obviously don't want to tread on the tiles but you can't go over the chimney to get to the other side.......

I have been told about something called a "creeper board" but I can't find anything about it. My work only involves small periods of time at a given chimney, so if it exists it would need to be something I can carry up on the cat ladder and then take down an hours or so later when I am done.

Reply to
Anonymous

Don't you just need a roofing ladder?

david

Reply to
Lobster

Try crawl or crawler boards. They are just wooden or board walkways joining in this case two roof ladders. I think.

Some rules and regs here:

(m)(2)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The ladder or roof board refered to is call a crawl board

keith_765

It sounds like you need to make a companion ladder to your roof ladder. I don't know what length it would have to be. As long as the widest chimey on your patch, plus long enough to take a crawl board.

Say your present roof ladder is made of 3 x 1 with 18" 3 x 2 rungs 12" apart and the average chimney is 3 feet from ridge to bottom flashing. The other needs 3 1/2 to 4 feet long plus 18 and some inches long; to be able to put it in place and to take the connection slats.

The connecting board needs to be as wide as both ladders and the width of the chimney.

An alternative to this short roof ladder might be a length of 3 or 4 x

1 with a block at both ends, either side of the lath. One to catch the ridge and one to rest the crawl board in.

It's either that or build some sort of a jib. Dangerous but a quick fix and a good way to get a disability pension.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer