Creative time: Lightweight doors

Hi,

Random ideas sought...

I need some new doors (internal) for the house. 3 will be sliders (31-33") and 2 will be normal (30"), except one of those will need to be trimmed down 1/2" or so (weird frame). The sliders will slide over the outside edge of the door frame - the architrave has been chosen to make this work (flat with taper edge).

The sliders demand flat edges all round - but not necessary a flat door, just rules out ordinary ledged and braced.

I see no reason why I would want normal doors for the sliders, which are comparitively heavy and thick.

At the same time, wardrobe doors would be a little too much the other way.

Any good ideas? Budget < 90 quid per door, preferably less. Bare (but oiled etc) wood finish - I really don't like painted wood - not with the kids knocking it all the time... Rustic is good.

I'd considered engineered suffolk doors - fairly flat - but they don't like being trimmed on the presentational edges. And they are mentally heavy.

Ledged and braced with extra wood to complete the level on the verticals could be interesting. I could make those, subject to being the victim of hideous warping (I don't know how to source decent wood at a good price).

I suppose I could start with a sheet of thin ply and T+G plank it both sides with the thinnest planks I could get, in opposing directions. The ply should help with stability and the planking if well fixed should give it extra strength. It would be an engineered door of sorts, but I could ensure the ply stays buried at the edges and they'd be made to measure inherently.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W

In message , Tim W writes

Daughter and s-i-l moved house and I inherited some leftover book shelves.

Nice Birch finish and incredibly light weight.

One day I needed some wood of just that thickness but less wide so ran one of them through the panel saw..... you guessed! They were made of ply clad cardboard.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wibbled on Tuesday 27 October 2009 20:39

Was it solid carboard or honeycomb stuff? I've heard of the latter.

Reply to
Tim W

In message , Tim W writes

Honeycomb. Now waiting for Nov. 5th.

You may still be able to purchase interior doors in similar material.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm wondering why Tim doesnt do just that. You can always add some faux framing onto them if you want.

NT

Reply to
NT

I have cut down egg box doors before - just glued a new edge strip into the open edge afterwards. Seemed to work ok.

Reply to
John Rumm