Creaky Floorbaords

A question thats been asked millions of times no doubt...

Before I do my new desk I have to sort out some creaky floorboards underneath my PC area.

I understand screws are the solution... should I be making new screw holes - or perhaps putting in bigger/fatter screws into the exitising ones that may not be holding.

Also I have one floorboard in particular which has 'gone down' into the ground (i.e something underneath had broken off) - it has only lowered like

2cms and is noticeable - any idea how to fix this (i will have to lift up the carpet before I can try anything - i am hoping it will be as replacing a wooden block and screwing down...

Finally, are there any spray type things that might relieve the creaking sounds??

Reply to
mo

The lengths I had to go to in order to (virtually) stop the creaking, was to cut all the tongues from the boards, take up the boards, cover all joints with gaffer tape and replace. Nothing else worked. The tongues and grooves were creaking due to warping and shinkage of the wood. Some creaks remained due to small cracks in the wood, that meant the wood even creaked within itself. Old dry wood creaks very easily ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Oh yes - definitely worth googling the archives of this ng!

You need to get that carpet up and see what's there before you'll get any definitive answers.

Floorboards are normally nailed down originally rather than screwed; if the boards are creaking then more often than not, using screws will sort it out.

As regards the sagging board - might be a board broken (eg by an electrician doing some rewiring) in which case, replace board. Might be that the board was cut across it's width (by the electrician?!) and has nothing under it to support it; in which case hopefully it's right next to a joist, then you can lift the board and screw a noggin (ie a block of wood) to said joist to act as a support for the sagging board.

I think the answers to both your queries will probably be self-evident when you can look under the carpet.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I found putting loads of talc down cured a lot but not all of my creaking.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I'm afraid of what I might find :)

Reply to
mo

They're almost certainly nailed down rather than screwed. The problem with screws is that you can see them whereas nails are almost invisible if you use the right type. If you ever want bare varnished boards nails are probably better. If you don't then screw them down - in many cases that totally cures the creaking which is caused by the boards moving up and down along the nails. DO NOT screw without checking for cables and pipes! Sometimes these run in a notch in the joists along the centre of one of the boards.

As for the board that has gone down - it is quite likely that some electrician or plumber has cut it and not supported it properly when putting it back. Screw or nail a large chunk of wood at the side of the joist and then screw the board down into it.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

..and if it's not next to a joist you can screw a noggin/support under the two adjacent boards.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Or worse still the little blighters called woodworm (or their simila mates) have had ago and the floorboard is structurally unsound. Not t put the sh*tters up you though. Investigate and report back

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I was thinking along those lines - we have lived here for 15 years - and i have stayed in this bedroom for almost that long and I can not remember any workmen taking up the carpets- i doubt theres anything under my room as i have no heater, just a light switch!

I am feeling it is probably 'rotten' wood.

Lift off/up in approx 2.5 hours!

Reply to
mo

message

You really should try the outside world. It's not really a big bad place ;o)

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Don't you mean "not *only* a big bad place"?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I would also be interested in sprays.

I have screwed the boards with three screws per board, talcum powdered liberally and still the boards squeak.

Reply to
BeeJay

I went out and left it too late to 'fix' the boards - some will need screwing down, one isnt screwed down at all on one end!

What kind of places can I go to buy floorboards (if i take one of my own can they 'copy' them?

Reply to
mo