crazy putty

Whenever I use putty to seal in a new pane of glass, the putty usually crazes someplaces like (like a dried out mut-flat pattern). I presume its curing process causes contraction. Is this because I haven't mixed the stuff well enough - or is it normal and I need go over it with a "filler" layer afterwards? tia