Crazy phone call

QED. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Helpdesk: Good morning. Are you having a good day? Me: It's not going too well actually. Helpdesk: Oh.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

You're joking, surely? My council is only just upgrading our PC's to XP. VPN sounds like twenty-first century technology, which on previous experience, is three years away.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Wrong answer from Helpdesk. It should have been "I guess that's why you are calling then?"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

myself.

And with todays technology why can't the company PABX present a number that when called checks your CLI against a list of calls made from the PABX and connect you through to the phone that called you?

Perhaps not 100% for A&E departments but then the PABX could route to the A&E reception not an "operational desk".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good idea. Interesting, though...whose fault is it if that fails because the original callee now witholds CLI? .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The problem I have is that, sometimes, real callers don't persist. Some do and some don't. I have missed important calls as a result.

Reply to
Mark

But they do. Often they really believe it's a good idea.

Reply to
Mark

If you want to keep such secrets from your wife then you could give the STD clinic a mobile number ;-)

Thankfully I haven't had to spend much time in hospital but, if they have a reason to call me, I would want to see a valid number otherwise it would be likely that I would not answer it.

Reply to
Mark

I haven't seen a lot of spoofing myself, most cold calls are shown as "unavailable" or "withheld".

Yes. BT do this themselves.

Reply to
Mark

How important it is to *them*. Which may be completely different to its importance to *you*.

Reply to
Mark

Almost never important enough for me to stop eating my supper.

Anyone I care about will write if there is a problem (eg insurance).

Everyone else - it is either mutually important enough for an answerphone message, or I don't care.

If it's a trader calling, then more fool them for not leaving a message...

Reply to
Tim Watts

But you won't know if you don't answer it ;-)

Will they? Will you find out whatever you need to know in time?

Reply to
Mark

Never been a problem in 40 years :)

I also throw suspcious looking mail in the bin unopened (ie not bearing my proper name, or not bearing some logo - unless handwritten, in which case it's someone I know).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Then your opening line should be along the lines if "I tried to call but as you are blocking my calls I have resorted to written communication..."

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A hospital wouldn't normally cold call. The patient should have a fairly good clue which department they have been dealing with and ask to be put through. Simples!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Indeed, but which part of "The reason being that one member of a family may not wish another member to know that they are in contact with the hospital," did you miss?

The patient may NOT want other members of the family to know that they are in contact with the hospital, it is a bit of a give away if the number is presented, yes?

Reply to
Bill

Directory enquiries charge about =A31.50 to call someone for you, or the= y will give you the number for free.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

give you the number for free.

118 *** are generally an arm and a leg to call up so there is no number for free. Or do you know a way?
Reply to
mogga

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:08:48 -0000, mogga wro= te:

they will give you the number for free.

Yes there is already a charge, but if you don't have access to the inter= net or a phonebook at the time, then they come in handy. I think I use = them once or twice a year.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott