Crazy phone call

Ah, that famous[1] "if you have done nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide" argument

[1] famous, but founded on a set of false assumptions and hence always wrong...
Reply to
John Rumm

Well, that's just lazy.

They could assign a presentation number which is answered by an automated system (like most big companies have anyway) which announces the company name[1] and offeres a simple menu system for sales etc.

That would offer just enough resistance to persisting which offering a clean record of the comapny - and a number you could stick in your phone's directory so it displays the company name next time anyone from the company rings.

I don't autoblock withheld numbers, but if I'm busy and the phone rings without displaying the name of someone in my directory - or at least a number from one of the few area codes that may be of interest, I'll not bother to pick up.

The truth of how important a call is is whether they leave an answerphone message...

Reply to
Tim Watts

As I work from home 2 days a week, I got myself a SipGate VOIP acount which I advertise as my work contact number (in preference to my desk phone as the college answerphone system is rubbish and SipGate can email answerphone messages to me).

Works very well. And I do not withold that number - as I can easily disable ringing for calls targetting that when I am not working.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The most ghastly invention.

Reply to
charles

Better than having a "number unavailable".

In an ideal world the presentation number would lead to the switchboard, but that's not going to happen...

Reply to
Tim Watts

There's this new-fangled thing called email, maybe the council should investigate it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

My council has, on more than one occasion, failed to respond to email after three weeks...Canterbury City Council..

Reply to
Bob Eager

A few days after I'd taken delivery of a new car, I'm outside in the garage tidying-up when Seamus appears, announces he's in the area having finished a driveway for Mrs down the road then proceeds to slap the grittiest scratchiest plastic folder of photos in the world onto my gleaming bonnet ... boy did he leave quickly?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And in a big organisation, the switchboard wouldn't have a clue who to put them through to.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry Tony, I agree with Bob on this one. Not only do the switchboard get inundated with calls that they don't know how to route, because the caller doesn't know who called them, but also imagine that you have just been to the STD clinic, ( to get it back on topic for phone systems!!) and they call you at home, your wife comes in, does a 1471 and then how do you explain the hospital calling you? Fast thinking is not always easy!!

I spend a fair bit of time in a hospital, as you know Tony, and the above are the 2 main reasons why they do not show CLI, we have discussed it a few times when I've been in the switchboard.

Reply to
Bill

I've used a similar one, that most of the world's conflicts are due to people trying to force their religion onto others.

First time, I was there for half an hour arguing on the doorstep. It was an excellent intellectual experience and a superb argument, but not one worth wasting any more time on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Then they should be using a VoIP extension over a secure VPN into the council's phone system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's my opinion of the phone as well, the rest of the family drop what ever they are doing to answer it. Me, I look at the CLI and decide if I want to talk to that person (if known or a number I recognise) or not.

If it's important from "unknown" they can leave a message or call back.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Err dunno guv, never been there;!....

As per the other post perhaps then some departments ought .. and perhaps some others oughtn't?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well one day I wished that hadn't happened..

Was at an Ofcom conference on Friday and mobbie switched to silent..

Check messages at end of afternoon session and received a message which went thus..

Hello Mr Sayer!, this is doctor Greys clinic. Dr Grey wishes to see you urgently first thing Monday morning about the MRI Brain scan you had last week.

Your booked in at 8:30, please be there it is important....

So whole weekend worrying that as I had the scan after some odd persistent headaches was s**te scared that I'd be told that I've got an incurable tumour that they'd have to operate on that day and the outcome by the sound of the urgency wasn't too good...

Monday morn came and I was there ..

So what's the problem Doc why the urgency?..

Ah!, good of you to come in I wanted to see you as I'm off to a golf tournament in Australia later on today my flights been re booked and I'll be over there on an extended holiday for Six weeks or so;!.

So hence the urgency!..

Mood went from down there to over there somewhere...

OK thank god that was all it was about, in a VERY relived voice..

Well you do have a problem we found a Tumour a large one.

Mood now crashed down there somewhere..

But its not a malign one at all a lot of people have them and don't even know they have them anyway!..

Mood wen up there and beyond..

I was very glad to get home and have a stiff drink after that lot of mental stress!!...

FWIW Tumour was a Pituitary gland cyst, now shrunk away on its own accord..

Headaches?. Possibly slight Carbon monoxide leak at work!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Good news then, terrific. But yea, I'd be crapping myself too.

Reply to
brass monkey

:-)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Our council has an email address for planning related issues and had similar response times. When dealing with them I suggested that they acknowledge new case emails as they come in, letting the sender know that the issue was in the queue and they'd receive a full reply later. They thought it was such a good idea that they adopted it! It was a classic , "we never thought of that" moment.

Reply to
fred

In my case, they admitted they hadn't actually read it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Medway Council do.

Reply to