Crazy phone call

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 1 of 12
1
2 3 > last»
Had a terrific phone call today -
Him - I have information that you had an RTA in the last 3 years
Me - You're dreaming it up, mate
Him - Do you think I waste my fucking time phoning people up on a dream, you
fucking knob
Me - Well, you're wasting MY time
followed by much hilarity and telling the wife that some twat is calling me
a fucking knob. If anyone was near him they'd have heard me laughing my
goolies off.
Anyway, I said thanks very much and put the phone down.
Number withheld, there's a surprise.

Re: Crazy phone call
On several occasions, I've instantly responded to that by saying
"lier!". That comes as quite a surprise, and the call goes
completely off their script (and comfort zone) from that point on.

I had a WITHHELD in the morning a few days ago...
     "Is that Mr Gabriel?" in a broad Indian accent.
     "Who's asking?" is always my initial response to this.
     "It's Robert Smith"
I forget the name he actually gave now, but it was very English,
given in a very Indian accent.
     "I'm calling you from [I forget the company] in London.
      How are you this afternoon, Mr Gabriel?"
Why on earth do they ask this? I must think up some response which is
going to take half an hour to explain with no opportunity for interruption,
but I haven't done that yet.  However, this time the reponse was dead easy.
I said
     "Well, actually it's the morning in this country."
That buggered up his call script. There were a few "Oh", "um", and
the like, and then he tried to continue with his script, but it
went to pieces because I laughed, and then he got the giggles and
couldn't get the words out, and eventually he cleared down the call
mid-sentence.

At least that one left me laughing afterwards, rather than annoyed.

Then there was another one this morning, showing INTERNATIONAL
     "Hello", I said.
     "Is that Mrs Gabriel?" was the response.
     "Not unless she's suddenly got a very deep voice".
Click - the call is cut off.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: Crazy phone call

"Withheld" earlier this week:

An Asian accent:
"This is Brian from Microsoft. You have a problem with your
computer. Can you go to your computer now?"
"Which of my computers has the problem?"
Click.

Yesterday I played along for a while as someone described the
advantages of solar panels. Only when they wanted to send a
surveyor did I mention that I already have them. At least they
managed a giggle.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon  Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Re: Crazy phone call

There is something about mis-sold payment protection going on but
only ever bought payment protection on a mortgage in 1985 that was
piad off >10 years ago I haven't paid much attention to the details.
I get a few spam texts along the same lines.

They might be, but I'd go looking for information else where about
mis-sold PPP's and put in a claim direct rather than use a 3rd party
who must be taking a cut of any compensation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: Crazy phone call

The last guy (UK accent) who tried this on, I suggested that, if
I had a claim (which I don't), I would take advice from
moneysavingexpert.com. The fact that he hadn't heard of it was
instructive.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon  Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Re: Crazy phone call
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:56:19 +0000, Tim Lamb

...and it costs about four quid a month.

For another BT bargain "ring back when free"  used to be 10p or so,
now its around 40p or so per use with no indication on the phone
message BT provide as to what the charge will be

--

Re: Crazy phone call
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:18:13 +0000, The Other Mike

1471 - 3
True, but the announcement says, (in a distorted and over-modulated
way)
"There is normally a charge for this service", which is enough for me
to hang up and dial it back manually.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Re: Crazy phone call

Directory enquiries charge about =A31.50 to call someone for you, or the=
y will give you the number for free.

-- =

http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Re: Crazy phone call

118 *** are generally an arm and a leg to call up so there is no
number for free. Or do you know a way?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Re: Crazy phone call
te:

Yes there is already a charge, but if you don't have access to the inter=
net or a phonebook at the time, then they come in handy.  I think I use =
them once or twice a year.

-- =

http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Re: Crazy phone call

Nope, British (for a change).

Re: Crazy phone call
Mine is 'I don''t take cold calls. Goodbye', followed by putting the
phone down. I don't see the point in wasting any more time than that.

Colin Bignell

Re: Crazy phone call
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:42:58 +0000, Nightjar

And I omit the "Goodbye" and hang up straight away.
But I don't usually answer calls with no displayed CLID.
--
(\__/)  M.
Re: Crazy phone call

No-CLID calls here put the caller into a menu.

If you are a telemarketer, press 1
If you are conducting a survey, press 2
If we have won a holiday, press 3
For anything else, press 4

Real callers persist, the rest don't seem to. The ongoing response to
telemarketers (1) asks them (eventually, they have to listen to 'all
members of the household are currently assisting other telemarketers, you
are in a queue', etc...) to leave full contact details so I can report
them. And then I get emailed a .wav file of the whole conversation.

The phone never actually rings. And answers 2 and 3 get similar, but
customised, treatment.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
 http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Crazy phone call

I like the way your mind works.

Re: Crazy phone call

Re: Crazy phone call

The problem I have is that, sometimes, real callers don't persist.
Some do and some don't.  I have missed important calls as a result.
--
(\__/)  M.
Re: Crazy phone call

And one time I had the cops call me one Saturday morning saying
that they had grabbed a couple of stupid kids who had quite literally
been walking around the streets late at night, filling it with what they
could find in the cars they came across and suggesting I might like to
come down to the cop shop and pick up what they had got from my car.

I'd managed to leave the passenger's door unlocked because I had
bought some beer at a drive thru bottle shop on the night before.

Re: Crazy phone call
[Default] On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:56:19 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,

Which is a pain for real callers from behind switchboards like myself.
I can phone using my Council mobile*, but if I was one of our admin
team and needed to contact someone to sort out a small but non-trivial
detail on, say, a Building Regulations application, I would have to
write a letter to said person and wait for a few more days for a
reply. Meanwhile they would be cursing the Council for not processing
their application sooner.

*I wouldn't give out my personal mobile number to the public, and
seeing as we are getting paid less for doing more for the third year
running, I certainly ain't gonna do it without getting paid.
--
Hugo Nebula
Re: Crazy phone call

--