Crazy phone call

Page 1 of 12
Had a terrific phone call today - Him - I have information that you had an RTA in the last 3 years Me - You're dreaming it up, mate Him - Do you think I waste my fucking time phoning people up on a dream, you fucking knob Me - Well, you're wasting MY time followed by much hilarity and telling the wife that some twat is calling me a fucking knob. If anyone was near him they'd have heard me laughing my goolies off. Anyway, I said thanks very much and put the phone down. Number withheld, there's a surprise.

On several occasions, I've instantly responded to that by saying "lier!". That comes as quite a surprise, and the call goes completely off their script (and comfort zone) from that point on.

I had a WITHHELD in the morning a few days ago... "Is that Mr Gabriel?" in a broad Indian accent. "Who's asking?" is always my initial response to this. "It's Robert Smith" I forget the name he actually gave now, but it was very English, given in a very Indian accent. "I'm calling you from [I forget the company] in London. How are you this afternoon, Mr Gabriel?" Why on earth do they ask this? I must think up some response which is going to take half an hour to explain with no opportunity for interruption, but I haven't done that yet. However, this time the reponse was dead easy. I said "Well, actually it's the morning in this country." That buggered up his call script. There were a few "Oh", "um", and the like, and then he tried to continue with his script, but it went to pieces because I laughed, and then he got the giggles and couldn't get the words out, and eventually he cleared down the call mid-sentence.
At least that one left me laughing afterwards, rather than annoyed.
Then there was another one this morning, showing INTERNATIONAL "Hello", I said. "Is that Mrs Gabriel?" was the response. "Not unless she's suddenly got a very deep voice". Click - the call is cut off.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

"Withheld" earlier this week:
An Asian accent: "This is Brian from Microsoft. You have a problem with your computer. Can you go to your computer now?" "Which of my computers has the problem?" Click.
Yesterday I played along for a while as someone described the advantages of solar panels. Only when they wanted to send a surveyor did I mention that I already have them. At least they managed a giggle.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:16:02 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is something about mis-sold payment protection going on but only ever bought payment protection on a mortgage in 1985 that was piad off >10 years ago I haven't paid much attention to the details. I get a few spam texts along the same lines.

They might be, but I'd go looking for information else where about mis-sold PPP's and put in a claim direct rather than use a 3rd party who must be taking a cut of any compensation.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The last guy (UK accent) who tried this on, I suggested that, if I had a claim (which I don't), I would take advice from moneysavingexpert.com. The fact that he hadn't heard of it was instructive.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:56:19 +0000, Tim Lamb

...and it costs about four quid a month.
For another BT bargain "ring back when free" used to be 10p or so, now its around 40p or so per use with no indication on the phone message BT provide as to what the charge will be
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:18:13 +0000, The Other Mike

1471 - 3 True, but the announcement says, (in a distorted and over-modulated way) "There is normally a charge for this service", which is enough for me to hang up and dial it back manually.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Directory enquiries charge about 1.50 to call someone for you, or they will give you the number for free.
--

http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

118 *** are generally an arm and a leg to call up so there is no number for free. Or do you know a way?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Yes there is already a charge, but if you don't have access to the internet or a phonebook at the time, then they come in handy. I think I use them once or twice a year.
--

http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Nope, British (for a change).
On 24/02/2012 01:07, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Mine is 'I don''t take cold calls. Goodbye', followed by putting the phone down. I don't see the point in wasting any more time than that.
Colin Bignell
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:42:58 +0000, Nightjar

And I omit the "Goodbye" and hang up straight away. But I don't usually answer calls with no displayed CLID.
--
(\__/) M.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:40:28 +0000, Mark wrote:

No-CLID calls here put the caller into a menu.
If you are a telemarketer, press 1 If you are conducting a survey, press 2 If we have won a holiday, press 3 For anything else, press 4
Real callers persist, the rest don't seem to. The ongoing response to telemarketers (1) asks them (eventually, they have to listen to 'all members of the household are currently assisting other telemarketers, you are in a queue', etc...) to leave full contact details so I can report them. And then I get emailed a .wav file of the whole conversation.
The phone never actually rings. And answers 2 and 3 get similar, but customised, treatment.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 2/24/2012 1:39 PM, Bob Eager wrote:

I like the way your mind works.
On 25/02/2012 8:05 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:

:-)

The problem I have is that, sometimes, real callers don't persist. Some do and some don't. I have missed important calls as a result.
--
(\__/) M.
Mark wrote

Thats a dangerous approach. Sometime it could be the hospital saying that someone you care about has just been run over etc.
And one time I had the cops call me one Saturday morning saying that they had grabbed a couple of stupid kids who had quite literally been walking around the streets late at night, filling it with what they could find in the cars they came across and suggesting I might like to come down to the cop shop and pick up what they had got from my car.
I'd managed to leave the passenger's door unlocked because I had bought some beer at a drive thru bottle shop on the night before.
[Default] On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:56:19 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,
wrote:

Which is a pain for real callers from behind switchboards like myself. I can phone using my Council mobile*, but if I was one of our admin team and needed to contact someone to sort out a small but non-trivial detail on, say, a Building Regulations application, I would have to write a letter to said person and wait for a few more days for a reply. Meanwhile they would be cursing the Council for not processing their application sooner.
*I wouldn't give out my personal mobile number to the public, and seeing as we are getting paid less for doing more for the third year running, I certainly ain't gonna do it without getting paid.
--
Hugo Nebula

Reputable companies and organisations don't hide phone numbers.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk