Crazy garden taps

Some of us have actually had the previlage of meeting him and aready know what he lookes like.

Although I never new until today that Tim had the same middle name as Homer Simpson:-)

Nice work Tim. But get the bloodly copper covered before the pikeys spot it. They will pinch it faster than a Frenchman can remove his underpants when going into a brothel

And I love the guttering cover idea. How is the timber mounted off/away from the wall?

Reply to
ARW

On Monday 29 July 2013 17:15 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's the inside picture...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 29 July 2013 19:10 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hehe.

I'm almost as round as Homer...

I have leaded bays as a diversion :-) But yes, good idea - this is round the back whereas the lead is well visible from the road (pikeies do not like being too obvious).

The decking plank is screwd to the wall - no spacing. Mine are London Brick Rustics which have a pronounced surface texture so any water that got behind would drain freely.

I'm hoping that direct contact will reduce the freezing risk a little too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Combined with "hospital pipe clips" (so called as they are popular in hospitals do to being easy to wipe down)"

are they the things I know as Munsen rings?

Reply to
djc

Water computers?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, hozelock have made them for years, a timer that switches on/off at programmed times. I have no idea if they've got more sophisticated than that, such as turning on for longer on hotter/sunnier days, or shorter on rainy days

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 09:00 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Micro irrigation - hangling basket automatic watering. That sort of thing :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 09:13 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Though I will get the Gardena ones - better made.

Got a Gardena hose reel and hose guide yesterday. It's the only thing I have bought in the last 10 years that I did not throw the supplied screws and plugs away! It came with:

5mm x 50mm big screws.

Fischer S8 plugs (I know these as they are my usual plug).

To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On the question of mounting outdoor taps. How do you ensure that that the t ap is vertical when it is tight enough not to leak. One of our outdoor taps is set at horizontal because that's where I had to take it to to stop it l eaking. Tried loads of ptfe but no joy.Might try flax and Boss White when I get some roundtoits.

Reply to
fred

My outside taps are sealed with a fibre washer (or two as required to get the angle right).

Reply to
dennis

An interesting water feature, every garden should have one like this

<

djc

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 12:21 fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Lots of PTFE tape which seals at a certain point and still allows quite abit more tightening to get the angle right.

Or liquid setting thread sealer (plumbing type) - better than PTFE in that the tap will not unscrew when you tug on the hose.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah, you sound like you speak from experience. I've just finished collecting the bits to sort out an auto watering setup and the only thing needed now is the computer.

Any recommendations? More importantly, any to definately avoid?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 20:04 D.M.Chapman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not yet - I was going by internet reviews saying Gardena was better. Though my experience with the hose reel and a few hose fittings I have suggest they are better made than Hozelock.

I read the instructions for

t-1030-d/

and

c-1030-plus/

My conclusion is the only advantage the latter offers is a rain sensor input (sensor bought seperately) and being able to set the time to the minute (the former is "+/- 30 mins).

Other than that, the program options are pretty much the same and the former is half the price.

The only very subtle other difference is the latter has a battery display that "guarantees X weeks of valve operation" when it's down to Y bars. The former does not (I think).

Reply to
Tim Watts