Crap House of the Week

Page 3 of 3

there
This is more to do that the house is in the wrong location. Building standards are far higher now than the 1930s. Cloud8 is fully insulated, which more than the 1930s gem.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:45:30 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
The only thing which is missing for this house is Jeremy. When I read it was the Beadle's house I thought "not him again".
PoP
βœ–

That's OK. Just so long as it outlives you.
βœ–

there
Here is what the builder wrote, and spot on too:
Q: What is the difference between new house design in Banff, Bognor, Basingstoke, Bangor, or Beaconsfield? – A: None
No – I’m not an architect; I am a dangerous amateur. Isn’t it telling that one has to make this admission before you write further. I have deep concerns about the built environment in the Chilterns and the architectural vomit that is thrown up in all senses by house developers in the region. Every day I see new examples of Tudorbethan, Vicwardian, neo-Georgian confused by developers as a mixture of deep south Colonial and 'Gone with the Wind' (I wish they had) blighting the Chilterns.
No one has responsibility for arresting this avalanche of design free structures, so developers go on erecting them - and the visually illiterate amongst others go on buying them. There is no choice after all. Developers are then convinced 'this is what they (buyers) want' and around we go again to the next wave of blighted applications that result in the homogenous Mocky Horror (“MH”) nightmare we see nationwide.
The CDC Planning Committee have to give good reason to refuse these applications and are to an extent between a rock and a hard place - but most members embrace these appalling offerings seemingly happy that the Chilterns looks the same as Banff, Bognor, Basingstoke, or Bangor. The making of a MH are the additions (fake post and beam - or planks to you and me, flint swatches, colonnades and so on) applied to a cheaply erected brick lump. These are aptly known in the building trade as "Gob Ons."
An example of a MH that would benefit from the attentions of a bulldozer exists in Long Bottom Lane, Beaconsfield. 'The Thing’ has been for sale for sometime. At a recent planning meeting a boisterous member of the committee complained about the 'adverse impact' a semi-contemporary application would have on the street scene in the same road. This latter application was well designed and located 75 yards from the road behind evergreens. Where was the Councillor when so needed to stop the cloyingly twee, in your face; Rhett Butler colonial eyesore that remains unsold at the time of writing. ‘The Thing’ received approval because presumably - in the opinion of the committee it's appropriate; doesn't adversely impact the street scene; is at ease with its site. HA! Seemingly the Councillor (and others) possess vision of scientific interest to stop considered design - but can't see what is clearly in front of them when it comes to 'pastiche retro.' Letting these proposals through planning blights the land on which they are erected, and contributes nothing to the built environment. I can probably show you at least 20 other versions of the same junk within 1760 yards radius so why do we need more?
If properties have to be the same as the one next door ("in keeping") we are going to end up living in a foul environment. All the Committee need do is look at Amersham Old Town, Edwardian; Victorian; Georgian; Tudor; juxtapose with each other and communicate comfortably. Different roof heights, pitches, materials: fenestration and finishes; it all works. What we need now are a couple of contemporary applications to keep things going - but if such a submission were made the Committee would likely have a collective seizure and end up in Amersham Hospital with its applied flint tokenism. Regional building styles have disappeared because among other reasons we largely controlled by developers, who offer template solutions that are unacquainted with the pen of an architect. I checked, we are in the 21st Century. Domestic architecture in the countryside remains in yestercentury. There are wonderful new materials, methods, and design ideas. Of course there will always be a demand for MH’s, but if we do not progress in design and demonstrate that The Chilterns built environment is "different" we will be the same as everywhere else. What a travesty.
Gerrards Cross has been wrecked - the same blight has spread to Beaconsfield, and now it is happening in Great Missenden. We sit and watch the spread of this homogenous nightmare and do nothing. Is it only in housing that a counterfeit product is serially purchased by the public?
Follow the Chiltern Planning Design Guide to which the Chiltern Society contributes, and whilst rightly encouraging preservation of that which exists, it nullifies progress. It is therefore a promotional document for the visually and developmentally inert. Aspic country.
If we wish the Chilterns Built Environment to be identifiable from elsewhere a policy needs to be developed that promotes variety. Developers need to be convinced there is a market, and proactively encouraged to experiment. The buyers are there – but why should developers change when they can get approvals easily and sell the junk they build?
© Tom Perry 13 October 2002.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't mind them being rich. It's the stupidly rich I object to. I'd love to do a voice over on these things. Perhaps I'll collect the videos of them and put some of my own inimitable on them.
I wonder why everyone from the architect to ther bricklayers walked away all the time. A nice comment from one of the builders discussing a specification on camera:
"....and *** takes the blame!"
"Yes, *** takes the blame."
"Yes I'll take the blame."
Not only will he take the blame, he will have to live with it. If I had that kind of money I could take a suite in a plush hotel in the country. Any country.

βœ–

Thank God he is not you then.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article
Michael McNeil wrote:

Do remember that lots of people make their living from the stupidly rich. The bathroom showroom below my office reminds me every day that (IMHO of course) you need to be prepared to pay £££ to get really horrible stuff.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–

What - you mean you don't like that 2m Versace floor-tile motif?? ;-)
My missus saw it and said "cor - isn't that lovely!". I had to smile and be glad that I was no longer in a position to afford it... :-) (and that that bathroom really didn't need re-doing for the time being)
-- Richard Sampson
βœ–

[snip]
The only place that I have seen those is at a bathroom suppliers called "Globo" just outside Pescara airport in Italy. I thought they were rather pleasant myself, but they are available in lots of differnet colourways and some just look vile. In acid yellow and black with godl taps they look rather err well tart's boudoir.
I can't really comment on the one on the program since I didn't see the program. There's a version in old Roman tile colours that looks perfect. After all the Versace ogo is simply the head of Medusa that's a fairly standard subject for Roman mosaic floors.

There you go you see, she's a woman of excellent taste.

IIRC they don't cost much at all. They get fitted in fairly average middle class bathrooms in Italy.
βœ–

Ah, I wasn't talking about the programme, but a display in the shop below Tony's offices (it's a short walk from my house). The thing itself is rather nice, but it's the incessant and tacky (IMHO, of course) display of branding that I'm not too fond of. Bit like "designer" t-shirts with the designer's logo writ large across them. Guess it's a personal thing.

This isn't yer average bathroom shop we're talking about - I'd guess there is a large markup on things. I could be wrong, perhaps next time I pass and have time I'll pop in and enquire as to exactly how much they are. The kind of person who they're after (ie someone who buys a Versace bathroom) also wants assurance that what they're buying is "suitably expensive" (no offence intended to anyone that has a Versace bathroom of course...)
-- Richard Sampson
email me at richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk .
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think the stuff is unpriced on the basis that "if you have to ask you can't afford it". But it's probably cheaper than Dolphin across the road <g>
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–
RichardS

Especially if you cost your time in fending off the never-ending sales calls from D*&phin after the initial enquiry... and then Moben... and then Sharps....
Once made the mistake of getting a quote from Dolphin when I was in a flat in Shepherds Bush. Never again!
-- Richard Sampson
βœ–