Cracks in House Wall - Builder or Surveyor ??

I was looking at a Victorian terraced house which is for sale, and in the 2-storey extension, the extension being about 50+ years old, there are a number of external cracks visible. A couple around a window, and also on other parts of the upper external wall. The extension is rendered over.

I was wondering who would be the best person to tell me something about these. To tell me if they are just cracks on the rendering, or they are more serious.

Should I be enquiring with a surveyor (what type?), or a builder?

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

You want to get a building surveyor to do a survey, preferably a 'full' survey. They have relevant qualifications, will provide a written report and have insurance.

A builder may give a sensible opinion, but may just as likely talk a load of rubbish. And in this context any opinion he expresses is probably worth ho my you would pay him....

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Structural engineer - if you're in, or near, London - let me know - I engage one who is reasonable, and avoids the term 'underpinning' in his report - you don't want that! They will only do a full survey tho' - to avoid any comeback. Alternatively get a lender survey - the 'full works one, and notify them beforehand of your concern. It's a good negotiating point, but often not as serious as it looks. The problem stems from the lack of a proper foundation in these houses - I was shocked when I first looked at a typical victorian foundation - a couple of bricks deep embedded in cement - not much more. Very often the drain collapses, and you may find cracks in the part of the wall on either side of a gully, as the ground get alternately waterlogged and dries out. Quite easy to fix - dig out and repair drains - dig out under walls - a bit at a time and reinforce the foundation - Again, if around London - Essex area - I can recommend the chaps to do it. (they were recommended by my structural engineer and dealt with a slightly bowed wall on a 3-story house) - very professionally done.

Tree can cause a problem, and even bomb damage.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Just re-read original post and see that extension isn't victorian!! Cracks may be caused through 'differential movement' - (my term) - stress between 2 different structures. There's nothing that can't be put right - so I'd negotiate on the basis that you might have to rebuild the extension - or at least do major work - but, again, do avoid that term 'underpinning' - it may cause a problem when you come to sell - building socs. and banks may not lend even if it's been put right - it's a blight.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

A surveyor is of course better qualified but a good builder's opinion comes free. You could ask a builder first then you would of course get a full survey done prior to purchase if things progress that far. It's fairly common to see cracks in an extention that old. Rendering would make them more obvious. They are usually just down to settlement that stopped years ago so don't let them necessarily put you off the property.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

Thanks Hugh! You're right, the extension appears to be about 50 years.

You said to avoid the term 'underpinning'. Can I ask what you mean by "avoid" this term?

Do you mean, don't buy a house if it's been underpinned; or if I bought it don't have it underpinned; or if it has been underpinned, don't mention this to the mortgage lender?

Will a structural engineer know if any part of the house has been underpinned?

Reply to
Mike

Thanks very much riccip!

Reply to
Mike

In message , chris French writes

A full survey can cost around £600 and, if they are concerned about the structure, they will strongly recommend a Structural Engineers Inspection, at a cost of around £200 - £300. AFAIK, a Building Surveyor tends not to comment on value.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , Mike writes

Definitely not a builder!!

You should get a Structural Engineer to look at it - whether this is before, or after, your mortgage valuation, is a moot point.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , Richard Faulkner writes

Both surveys I have had done have included a valuation

Reply to
chris French

Structural engineer. If you're near sauflunnon, I can recommend one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No probs. There are a few things you can check yourself. Look inside the cracks themselves. If they look mucky then they are old. Do they appear "newish", and have they already been repointed recently? Examine the doors and windows nearest the cracks. If the doors stick then recent movement is more likely, same with the windows to a lesser extent. Also check the top of the door to see if it's been planed off recently to make it a better fit.

Take a walk along the road and look closely at any neighbouring properties for similar cracks. If it's a neighbourhood epidemic then it's possibly due to the clay content (plasticity) below ground - bad news. Alternatively there could be old mining subsidence in the area. Unlikely but the local council will be able to help to inform you if that's suspected.

However it's probably none of those so I don't want to worry you. Our present home is a large Victorian house with a 25-y-o extension. It has cracks and a "sinking corner" that would make your toes curl if you weren't sure what you were looking for, and a gable end that looks dodgy to say the least. Same with our previous property. In both cases I asked a builder friend for advice and was given his honest opinion, later backed up structural surveys, that the settlement had already done it's worst and wasn't in danger of progressing. No underpinning necessary. In some ways it's to be expected with older buildings and adds a certain kind of "patina". Also makes hanging wallpaper much more fun when you have no properly square corners! :-)

Provided it's nothing serious cracks are easily pointed up and rendering repaired in such cases. If you do buy the property save copies of your structural survey for when you eventually come to sell, to show prospective buyers who may be scared off early by the same reservations.

riccip

Reply to
riccip