Cracked mirrored door in bathroom cabinet

Hi folks,

Bit of a disaster this morning, lost my grip on the mirrored door of the bathroom cabinet and it slammed shut and cracked all the way across. Me not very happy :(

Basically, the door is a solid sheet of mirror (18" x 11") with smooth edges (ie no frame of any sort, just the glass) - it is held on by two hinges that you slide the glass into and tighten a screw against the back of the mirror. The handle is bolted on through a hole in the mirror.

I gather I have three options:

1) Replace myself - which I gather would be pretty impossible as the door has no protective frame and to cut a sheet of mirror to that size would leave sharp edges - is there a way? The hole for the handle shouldn't be a problem to drill with a glass bit.

2) Buy a replacement door - I figure to do this I would have to find a glass/mirror manufacturer and take the broken door to them so they could cut and drill me a replacement. Would this be expensive? The cabinet cost about £60 so obviously wouldn't want to pay more than maybe £30.

3) Buy a replcamenet cabinet - the problem with this being that the place we bought it from no longer exists and I've never seen another like it - would mean getting a different style which would be a pain as I quite like this one!

Any help/tips/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Richard Conway said the following on 21/11/2005 09:18:

Take the broken door to your friendly local glazier and get a price for a replacement. They should be able to cut, drill and bevel the edges for you (and if not, will direct you to a local firm who can)- hopefully for less than £30 :-).

p.s. Make sure you impress upon them that the mirror glass needs to be the same thickness, so the replacement door will fit into the hinge arrangement properly.

Reply to
Rumble

Any _good_ local glazier. I'd suggest Roman Glass if you're near Bristol / Bath.

Beveling the edges costs money, but not that much.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Go and see your glazier.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It isn't beveled, its just a flat pane of mirrored glass - hopefully shoudln't be too dear then. I live round the corner from one so I'll wonder round one day and see what they reckon.

Cheers.

Reply to
Richard Conway

find a mirror over size, take it to glazier and ask him to cut it to size and round off the edges, far cheap probably cost a tenner rather than £20/25

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No sensible glazier will cut old glass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What does a sensible glazier look like?

Its a mirror not glass and most small glaziers don't stock mirrors as this is normally to order, it being an expensive commodity.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why not? The ones I've dealt with will do so without any problem at all.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Old glass is harder to cut reliably. Any glass has a risk when cutting it and you do lose the odd piece from time to time. You're also dealing with a customer who is clearly a cheapskate.

Cutting glass is cheap. So would you risk a tuppenny job of cutting someone else's glass when you know that any problem with it is going to give you a stroppy git who wants a replacement for free?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It makes very little difference whether the glass is new or old.

Normally the risk is stated, and accepted/declined.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Seven years' bad luck ...

4) Remove the mirror glass from the other door and have an unmirrored cabinet. Buy a separate mirror.

(The glazier is probably a more sensible suggestion.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But the mirror /is/ the door.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Oh arr. Well, if the OP doesn't want the TCP and dental floss on display to casual callers on open shelves, replace doors with some nice practical plywood.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

After having a conversation once where several people admitted to snooping in bathroom cabinets when they were visiting other people's houses (go on, I bit someone here has done it!), I thought it might be a laugh to put an alarm on it, so that when people come round you can catch them at it. Just to cause embarrassment really :)

Reply to
Richard Conway