Crack on outside wall

Hi hope someone can tell me if I am doing the right thing. Last year my brother noticed a crack on my side wall it was only 3ft in length it just looked like the mortar was crumbling he told me to keep an eye on it. I looked at it again earlier this year (Feb) and I was shocked to find the crack its now over 10ft high and has gone through two small half bricks into the upstairs part of the wall, the initial crack hasn't gone through the damp proof course just gone upwards mostly following the mortar except fot the two half bricks. I have informed insurance company in Febuary but only got a final reply that this crack was due to earthquake movement that happend in 2001/2002 and that I wasn't insured with them at the time and to take it up with insuer that I was. In the mean time the mortar has started to fall out and I am worried that I will be piggy in the middle the bad weather has started and I know the crack will get worse by the time winter has ended. What I have done and probably will have to re-do-it is I have got Duck tape waterproof and some bin bags and went up some ladders and sealed the crack under bags so keep the water and frost out hopefully, I just want to know am I doing the right thing or will I make it worse please help Thank You

Reply to
Gloxx1961

Gloxx1961 wrote: [snip] .... I have informed insurance company in Febuary but only got a final reply that this crack was due to earthquake movement that happend in 2001/2002 and that I wasn't insured with them at the time and to take it up with insuer that I was ...[snip]

How the hell do they know that? Can they prove it?

If you have a crack that's growing you should get a structural engineer to give you an opinion as to the cause.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

Many walls crack for many different reasons. I would use a silicone dispenser and fill it with silicone or tar to keep the rain out and just hope it doesnt get worse. It may not get worse. It would be interesting to see a picture of the full wall and the full house to evaluate the structure. Do you have a fireplace behind the crack by any chance? One big fire could cause it or a chimney fire. If your walls are all plumb all round you shouldnt worry too much.

Reply to
noelogara

You need to get an experienced person to determine the most likely cause of the crack. From that you will know whether it is an insurance issue, or due to some other parties actions - or if it's down to you.

Are we talking about a crack you can fit your hand in? Or just a coin on edge? Is your house a new build? Is it on flat ground? Are there neighbouring properties having similar problems? Are there trees too close to your house? Could there be a leaking drain underground?

There's a lot of possible causes, many of which aren't likely to be covered by insurance.

Reply to
dom

This should also be apparent inside also, is there one inside? if so you need a surveyor.

Cracks will run further and further untill it cant go anywhere else ie a crack in a pane of glass will continue to course through the pane till it reaches the other side of the frame,the only way to stop that crack is to drill a hole in the pane of glass at the immediate end of the crack.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Duck tape and bin bags will not make anything worse. Regarding taking this up with the insurer that you were with in 2001/2002, that sounds like rubbish to me. The crack appeared this year. Ask your insurance company to indicate where in your policy it says that you are not covered for a crack appearing in a wall during your current policy. How can you submit a claim to a previous insurer on a policy that is no longer in force? You need to put in a complaint to your insurance company and if you don't get anywhere go to

Also, uk.legal is a worth a try.

You need professional advice for what sounds like heave or subsidence. Your insurance company should arrange this, otherwise you will have to pay a surveyor or structural engineer yourself:

Phil Anthropist

Thanks for your comments that is the problem I am going to have!! Insurance company sent out loss adjuster who then inturn sent out a structural engineer but he doesn't really know why it happened and has only mention it May have been caused by this earthquake. He completely ruled out subsidance which I was really worried about.

Reply to
Gloxx1961

Thank you for your comments. I do not have chimney brest or fire on this wall infact there is nothing inside that could have caused this.

Reply to
Gloxx1961

Thank you for your comments

well insurance company did send out Loss Adjusters and they inturn sent out structural engineer who actually said it May have been caused by this earthquake he's not sure why I should have a vertical crack in wall, house built in the late 40's earlly 50s no trees not asked neighbours but we are on clay soil. the crack in some part where the mortar has fallen out you can get two fingers in the crack. I mean I know what needs to be done but I have to wait for insurances to see who might pay for it.

Reply to
Gloxx1961

Thank you for your comments

I do not have any cracks inside where the crack is on the outside. I know what needs to be done but just having to wait to see if insurers will pay out my insurer seems to have passed it on to the previous insurer I have been intouch with them but they just might say its over five years your not insured with us tough!!!

Reply to
Gloxx1961

I am glad you mentioned about the bin bags and duck tape and yes like you I am thinking on those same lines, why do we pay insurance otherwise!!! and thanks for the legal stuff. The structual engineer who came out through the Loss Adjusters has ruled out subsidence which is what I was worried about.

Reply to
Gloxx1961

It sounds unusual for a house of that age to suddenly develop cracks. New enough to have substantial foundations, old enough to have done any settling.

Most importantly, has the movment stopped? Are you/the engineer accurately monitoring the width of the crack from month to month? Did the engineer suggest the likelihood of further movement?

You may need to pay for the services of a local engineer with particular expertise in this sort of thing, rather than the insurance company's.

Reply to
dom

:-) Earthquake? GB doesn't get earthquakes, its too cold a climate.

You mean minor earth tremors.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I would be suspicious about a report from an insurance-paid structural engineer as they are not independent. As for loss adjustors, their job is to minimise pay-outs and to always decide in favour of the company and not the customer. If they can they will take you to the cleaners.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Really? See

(4.8 on the Richter scale).

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

That was not an earthquake,an earthquake is a full blown destructive occurence whereby it Bings down buildings,cause the earth to open up,tidal floods.

Like I said earth tremor,nothing more.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Complete rubbish.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Its not rubbish,small or huge felt tremors usally precede an earth quake ie a warning sign if you like. We didn't have an earthquake so therefor it was a tremor.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think you need an independant LOSS ASSESOR as well. Adjusters work for the insurance company to keep their payouts to a minimum. Loss Assesors work for you, for a fee I think, and try to get you as much as possible. Ask Citizens advice if they keep a list.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
gort

Gloxx1961 wrote: >

I cant see what the insurance company can do about a crack in a wall anyway. If the crack widens to the extent that the house needs a new wall that is a different matter and there would be serious costs in that. But a crack in a wall is very common and not to be alarmed about unless it is progressive and threatening to fall apart. Again as I said you should look at the alignment of the walls and see if there is any movement there or any other crack in the joining walls that you didnt notice before. It may just be bad building work in that wall that caused the crack. It doesnt appear on the inside wall so thats good news. That crack may have been in the wall for many years but the outside mortar may have recently come away to reveal it. No need to pay an engineer to tell you something so obvious when you have all the free advice you need here. get us a few pics of it and we can advise for free. for now you should fill it anyway as I already advised and monitor it for any development.

Remember that there are cracks in most houses and sometimes even new houses.

Reply to
noelogara