Crack is concrete drive

Hi

I have a concrete drive that has a crack right across it. Unfortunatley when it was laid there was no steel reinforcement.

Short of ripping it all up, is there anything can be done to repair it?

Many Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

I had the same problem with loads of small cracks. A chap here recommended a dry mix of sand/cement. You brush it into the crack with a paint brush and then lightly water it. It looked okay at first for a cosmetic fix; then it sort of fell out. Some of it went green and it always looked wet. I must have done something wrong......

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It will probably move again, so either:

1) Patch with mortar and expect more cracking;

2) Clean to a fine slot with an angle grinder (stone or diamond disc) and fill with suitable mastic, making a movement joint which will hopefully look tidier. Hot tar is another option to mastic and basically what the councils used to do on cracked concrete surfaces roads - but this is obviously less practical and a bit dangerous if you have to jerry-rig a tar heater (it catches fire and/or burns you in particularly nasty ways).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It happens that alec green formulated :

I don't think it would be normal to add steel reinforcing. As per the other post, a dry sand and cement mix brushed in to the gap, but use a stiff hand brush and keep sweeping it in until completely full. Wet it slightly and add more and sweep t slightly over lap the surface, to try to prevent water getting in. Cool weather might be best, as the gap should be at its widest.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How's it hanging these days? :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I reckon that the only way to effect a long-lasting invisible repair is to clean and widen the crack, fill it with bitumen, and then tarmac over the whole drive.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Seems to me there are going to be 2 areas of rigid concrete. I suspect they will move small amounts independently for ever more and that something non rigidly setting is the answer.

There are expansion/movement joints in loads of things from sea defences to concrete slab roads to bridges to long brick walls.

I strongly suspect any attempt at a rigid filler is just going to crack again.

ISTR that on a local A road or motorway they had saved money by not occasionally clearing out the expansion joints and refilling. When we had exceptionally hot weather the rigid debris in the expansion joints caused all sorts of buckling of the roadway.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

If you fill the crack with something rigid, sand & cement might not survive long. Epoxy mortar isnt cheap but does last. Or you can just use a grey mastic to make it all less noticeable and avoid more freeze damage. Unless there's more to the story, a crack wont matter as far as function goes. Concrete & cracks are like crackers & cheese.

NT

Reply to
NT

Cracks imply movement, and as such, from bitter experience there is no permanent fix. Often levels change or the two parts move apart. If you are really unlucky they move in all directions. I use the term rustic now to describe said cracks when I am told about them.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Concrete cracks because it expands and contracts, filling it will have no effect and it won't last five minutes. It should have been laid in sections with expansion gaps filled with mastic. Ripping it up and starting again will result in the same outcome unless it's done this way.

Reply to
Phil L

But nowhere near as tasty ;-)

Reply to