Crabtree, Marbo, MK, Volex, BG, Contactum, Telco, OEM etc - which sockets + switches to choose?

Complete re-wire.

I don't like the look of the MK range - I just want simple square flat white fittings.

I don't want the switches to fail. I don't want the sockets to be so stiff you can't get plugs in+out. I want the rear terminals to grip 2 or 3 cores of 2.5mm T+E properly.

The most exotic thing I need is a 3-gang intermediate switch - I'll probably use MK grid for that. I also need a couple of 2-gang intermediate switches. I can only find these from Contactum - rounded corners (wanted square) but not too bad I suppose. Also need a couple of neons, couple of dimmers etc.

I'm _fairly_ happy if some of those switches look a little "different" from the rest - so what is the best and cheapest choice for the rest of it?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

I've been using GET white plastic. So far so good - the terminals are nice, sockets are not overheating despite having been maxed out by fan heaters over winter and the switches seem positive. But I cannot give a long term opinion yet.

The GET grid range is pretty nice too - with a variety of colours of plates and modules including white plastic.

Very inexpensive if you shop around on the internet (expect

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK - you don't like MK - fair enough - they are quite clunky.

I've heard bad things about Volex. Contactum went bust and they got revitalised so I don't know what their current stuff is like. Crabtree have had a good long term reputation. Marbo gives me the heebies, not sure why.

Have a look on the IET (IEE) forums too - there's lots of comments about makes - remmeber, proper sparkies get called back if stuff dies after a year, so there is a fairly balanced opinion there.

See if Adam comments too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Robinson saying something like:

I've been using mostly Curva for the past few years. Very decent quality at just above contract-grade prices.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

so what is the best and cheapest choice for the rest

Rewired three years ago and went through same decision making progress. I ordered one item each from half a dozen manufacturers, for technical assessment and "household approval".

Decided on Crabtree for:

Mid price, "classic" appearance, good terminals, and apparent solid construction. Sensible spring tension on sockets, and positive but not overloud switches. Also Crabtree don't seem to change design too often, so further purchases to match are possible (hopefully) in the future.

Appearance is basic square, with slightly rounded corners and edges, with switch toggles slightly concave. Colour is trending more towards cream than bright white. Good range of less common accessories.

No failures in three years so far, and no signs of cooked contacts or sockets - but I would hope for much longer life than this anyway.

TLC don't do Crabtree (I think), but Screwfix often have offers on 13A sockets, and stock most other options. Double pole switches on the sockets cost almost no more, so this is probably a useful option.

The fittings I replaced were Crabtree too, with almost 40 years of service from newbuild, and apart from some slightly vague switch actions were all still OK - the best have ended up installed in the garage for now.

Best of luck with your choice,

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

I have almost exclusively been using the GET ultimate range form TLC over the last few year.

These are square cornered - by they do taper slightly toward the top and bottom - making less protrusion top and bottom:

also have little blanking plugs to fill the screw holes with! (with

2 spares per socket)

Not had a problem yet

These have nice large square holes with proper clamps - will take 4 x

2.5mm without too much difficulty.

Don't think TLC do that...

Double sockets are on special offer at the mo - £1.55 + VAT each if you buy 10 or more.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, hadn't been there before - thanks.

Can't find that much comment on the cheaper brands - but several threads about how MK and Crabtree aren't the gold standard they once were. Interesting forum though.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Screwfix used to do Superswitch white moulded range, but that seems to have gone and there's now Varilight that looks very similar. If Varilight is the same as Superswitch (just a change of name), then I found that Superswitch had positive, quiet action, nicely rounded but not overstated profile and seemed to be of reasonable quality.

PeterC

Varilight have been about for quite a while. I have used a fair number of their dimmers without any problems.

Their master / slave touch dimmers are quite handy if you need dimming control from more than one switch position.

Reply to
John Rumm

CLICK stuff is reasonably priced. They used to have the the nice feature that you could take a 3 gang lightswitch and each gang was a module that you could remove and replace individual modules with intermediate modules, The end result looked just like a 3 gang switch.. I can double check that they still do that later if you wish.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dunno who makes em, but I swaer by Newey and Eyre's pwn brand - Newlec - for basic 'does what it says' stuff,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

That's the badger. It's Click who make Curva - Curva being the name of the range.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm interested. Where is this sold Adam?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Lots of wholesalers. But probably not CEF, Neweys and Edmunsons. Most small wholesalers will sell the or be able to get CLICK in.

CLICKS home page is

the info on the switches is here

doubt you can buy from eBay.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

GET supply Neweys with the sockets and switches.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Adam