CPU Cooling Fan

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

A generic will be fine.

why? you're protected by ebay/paypal. I've bought loads of stuff from China without issue, the only thing is you have to be prepared to wait a while for it to arrive.

Yes

Size - usually expressed as e.g. "80 x 80" or "80 mm sq" There are standard sizes - 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, etc.

As you say the fan clips into the top of the heatsink, the depth matters. This is expressed as e.g. "80 x 20 x 25" for an 18mm sq, 25mm tall fan.

Double-check you have the voltage right.

If the replacement comes without the plug on the end, cut the plug off the old one and solder it to the new one's wires.

Yes.

You'll probably find buying a complete replacement heatsink/fan is easier and quicker than faffing around with wires and lubricating bearings.

Yes

That's the right oil to use. 3-in-1 is fine also

Yes, very. Usually it's the label with the maker's name and model number on it. Peel it off (it may well be foil-backed) and you'll either expose the bearing or a hole with a small rubber bung in it that can be prised out to expose the bearing.

Just a couple drops of oil. The original label won't stick back on, just cover the hole with a bit of tape. Electrician's insulating tape is fine. You may need to clean off the surface surrounding the hole with a solvent (lighter fluid, IPA, etc.) before the tape will stick.

Blowing down through the fins

It does matter.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks for all that, Mike. Encouraging to hear that buying from China is not a problem.

I put a couple of drops of oil into the bearing last night, following your and DB's advice, and the second part of the first YouTube video I found (omitting the hammer and screwdriver approach!), using a finer drill and a small syringe and needle to introduce the oil. I also made sure the fan was blowing down into the fins, and now all is fine. No fan noise at all, even when giving the CPU a good work-out by doing a full virus scan of the computer (I have the 'Speedfan' utility to watch the fan speeds and CPU temperature and activity).

Thanks to everyone for their help and contributions.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

experience suggest that buys you about a year of decent fan life. make plans sooon..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh good, when people were mentioning a "couple of drops" I had visions fo drops a few mm across, which is way too much. Just need a tiny drop on the end of needle or pin and touch it to the bearing/shaft joint and capillary action will draw enough in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

FWIW, I've used Duct Tape (which is VERY sticky).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

En el artículo , Ian Jackson escribió:

Good idea, but it's getting it off your fingers and on the fan! :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson