CPC ultrasonic cleaners

I don't wear glasses much outdoors (if it's sunny, I wear sunglasses to cut down on the risk of another tumour). I just tried, though, and don't seem to get a starburst effect.

They recommend one drop of detergent for mucky things, so I guess that would help with any residue. Or it might make it worse!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wash mine with a spot of detergent(*1), warm water and my fingers. Then throughly rinse glasses and fingers in running water. Finally drying with a sheet of kitchen towel. Spotless, not residue or marking.

I adopted my daily morning washing routine after my first pair of glasses with optical coating didn't last long. The coating wore off rather quickly just cleaning dry with clean tissue or hanky.

Plastic or glass lenses? Plastic scratch very easyly, I had a pair with plastic lenses once, never again(*2).

*1. Normally liquid hand soap, a tiny amount of washing up liquid will do at a push. Do not use ordinary soap that will leave a nasty residue behind. *2. Unless plastic lenses can now equal the refractive index of high refactive index glass. I'm -5 diopters so decent sized lens edges get *very* thick when made from lower refractive index materials. Plastic would also need to be equally hard.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I now use the ultrasonic cleaner, no detergent, and dab dry with kitchen towel too!

Unfortunately my eys have radically different characteristics, and the weight of glass lenses caused them to tilt all the time!

Reply to
Bob Eager

OT, but thanks for bringing CPC to my attention!

I was interested in these cleaners so bookmarked the site, as other prices looked good. I have never heard of them before

Today I was gooling for a new oven fan, and after endless searches and local phone calls, the fans are generally available at around =A330 to =A335.

CPC do these at =A310 - 1/3 of the other prices. Unbelievable

Cheers

dg

Reply to
dg

They are probably the biggest firm of its type in the UK - although that might be RS Components. But they are basically a trade supplier so don't advertise in the general press. They'll still supply direct, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On that subject, I had a delivery from RS today and asked the DHL guy about delivery times. Apparently RS buy DHL's next day (meaning any time next day) service for their "FOC" option.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In practice, that's what happens with CPC virtually all of the time. I have had precisely ONE instance, in several years, where the goods took two days to arrive.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes. Assuming I order during the working day I get their consignment from DHL between 1215 and 1245 the next day - more regular time wise than the post.

Other good delivery recently was for Colway tyres. My brother reckons on these remoulds as being fantastic value for money and much better as a tyre than budget types. My niece's husband also uses them for racing his Mk1 Escort, so I thought I'd give them a try.

From Tyres Direct, 174.30 for 5 x 205/60R15 95 V including VAT and delivery which was only 16 quid and they arrived the next day as promised. In an unmarked van. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or, in my recent experience, order at 7:57pm and get delivery at

8:05am.

Farnell, who are normally almost as prompt (circa 24 hours as the UPS van decides to arrive in the afternoon rather than DHL who nearly always comes first thing) managed to mangle a single line order and nothing has turned up 3 days on.

Reply to
Matt