CPC ultrasonic cleaners

Anyone tried one of the cheapies? Are they any good? (Can't justify a proper lab-type one)

Reply to
Newshound

I've just ordered one (daily special so let's not hope of the Afur variety) so I'll let you know.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup.

Did a good job on my 5 pairs of glasses, on my wife's jewellery (and she's fussy). Also on a couple of CDs.

Not bad for about 20 quid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wife is one of those daft Scout leaders and took her digi camera to camp last year. true to form, she dropped it into a stream.

View finder was left cloudy and the camera shop wanted to charge the equivalent of a new camera to repair it.

I took off the back of the case and dropped it into my cheepo Maplin cleaner 4 times ( warm water and a single drop of washing up liquid). Each time I stood it up in a different plane and it worked fine after a week's drying time.

I have cleaned some of her jewellery and that has come out much brighter than it went in, so at a cost of less that £30-00 I am well pleased with mine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks all, seems like worth a punt then

Newshound

I have to show my ignorance by asking what the heck are you all talking about? Link please ...

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

type: SA01944 into the search box.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They're great. Not very big internally, but plenty of power.

It's likely that compared to a "real" cleaner, it will be the service lifetime that suffers. If the transducer technology is related to those in the recent crop of ultrasonic mist generators and humidifiers, they certainly have a finite lifespan. Fortunately it's measured in running time, not age.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Or SA0194467 for the identical item at a slightly lower price. But why the price difference?

Reply to
Richard

I did realise that, but it was an illustrative example. I didn't know if the lower price code would work if you weren't logged in as a customer.

The lower price is from one of the customer 'flyers' that they send out every week. Add the correct, current (they are time limited) suffix and you'll get one of what may be a variety of lower prices.

How did you know of the lower price if you didn't know about how it worked? Just curious...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 20 Jul 2007 19:50:10 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

When did he say he diidn't know how they work?

Reply to
Lurch

I meant how the differential pricing system worked...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 20 Jul 2007 22:17:38 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

Ah, er, oops.

Reply to
Lurch

I think that Geoff's answer of "that's CPC" covers it.

But , as to how I knew that there was a different price: I looked at the cleaner when it was advertised on an earlier email from CPC and when I jumped from this thread using the CPC address only (without the link to the cleaner) the earlier cleaner appeared in my basket on the CPC page. Using the link including the cleaner takes me to a page showing the cleaner at the higher price. er, does any of that make sense?

I have been wondering about buying one of these non-essentials ever since CPC sent me the first mailing. It's interesting to note that Maplin sent me an invite to buy pretty much the same item for a tenner more barely a week after CPC's mailing.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ah, OK. Didn't know you'd had the email from CPC. My reasoning was that if you were on theor mailing list, you'd know that they had differential pricing and wouldn't have queried the different price, that's all.

Just off to clean my wife's specs...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Could you tell us the shape and dimensions of the tank, please?

Reply to
Ian White

Vaguely oval in shape, 12cm x 14.5cm, by 4cm deep (approximate check just now with a ruler). Big enough to take a CD (in fact they give you a little spindle with a collar so that you can stack two of them).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian White

How well does it clean your glasses. No matter how thoroughly I clean my specs by hand, even with cleaning fluid and a fresh clean cloth, I invariably manage to end up with an almost microscopic oily residue on the surface which gives a distracting "starburst filter" effect when I'm facing the sun. I'd be tempted to get an ultrasonic cleaner if it could help eliminate this.

Reply to
Mike Clarke