CPC/RS or eBay/Amazon?

Just ploughing through a bit more angst in a search for a PSU for my amp.

I can get my 12V 5A PSU from the usual suspects e.g.

£21.54 + delivery, or
£9.80 including delivery.

In both cases they will also need a power lead, in the case of CPC it is a standard PC power lead and I may just have one of those.

Assuming that virtually all PSUs are made in China, is it likely to be worth paying just over £20 for one from CPC or RS or are they so straightforward that an eBay or Amazon sourced PSU will do the job fine?

Thanking you for your patience.

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

> for £21.54 + delivery, or

> for £9.80 including delivery.

Also worth looking at RapidOnline and some of the various electronics hobby sites on the web which are invariably cheaper than RS/Farnell.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

There are vast differences in quality between Chinese manufacturers. For example there should be a filter capacitor between primary and secondary in a switch mode supply and that capacitor must be "X" rated so it fails open circuit and safe. Many cheap direct imports will use a standard capacitor where a failure may result in a short and mains appearing on the output.

"CE" on no name imports is meaningless, all you can assume is it stands for "Chinese Export". The same goes for any other standards mark if you buy from Ebay in particular.

At least from CPC and similar you stand a good chance of getting something which actually does meet the declared standards.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For PowerPax and Stontronics the cheapest outlet is often CPC, surprisingly. The problem is their database is not consistent and the parameterized search will not always turn up things they actually stock.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Its very possible to make a switch mode PSU , that bit cheaper...

Capacitors, why bother with X&Y rated sel healing, just bung in some cheapies...

Those 105 degrees rated electrolytics are expensive, lesser ones are so much lesser priced...

Or just old PSU`s out of the container loads of WEEE waste coming in and stick it in a fresh looking case...

Had a batch of cased `desktop` PSUs, opened next one up after first went ker-ferking-bang!, factory fitted mud on the PCB and hand soldering where they had attempted to alter the output voltage...

Now will only use UK sourced PSUs from people like Powerpax, Stontronics or Meanwell , there have been counterfiet Meanwell`s around but not from major UK suppliers, its easier on my nerves.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I bought a cheap chinese one from ebay for my Sony ebook reader, sold as x-box compatible which is what the ebook reader uses. Worked ok at home then I took it with me on a cruise. First time I used it on the ship, plugged into a 220v rated power socket, after a few minutes it went bang, and tripped out the all the power in mine and 20 other cabins.

I was not popular! Plus I then had to buy proper books to read for the rest of the holiday.

Reply to
Davidm

For CPC stuff, always worth looking at their 'brochures'. Sometimes they have the same product listed in the brochure and in the main catalogue. Difference is the brochure will have a lower price and the order code will have an extra digit so the usual punters don't get a discount.

(If you're bored, you can try adding a random extra digit to normal order codes and see if any discounts turn up)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I just add the digits in each of the current brochures until I get a hit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

extra two digits

Reply to