Coving - plaster/poly/resin - pros and cons

I'm looking at coving a few rooms, found three types (resin, plaster, poly), just wondering what peoples experiences are of these ? Resin looks OK to me, but never used it. Plaster is heavy and awkward - how does the price compare ? Does it warp in sunlight ?

Would appreciate some thoughts.

Steve...

Reply to
SteveRoche

The resin and polyfoam are light and quite simple to stick in place with the right adhesives. The plaster type, as you say, is heavier and needs supported with screws or props to hold it in place while the adhesive dries out.

I've used all three types and I much prefer the decorative resin style although around the small hallway here I've fitted the cheaper polyfoam style with great effect.

One word of warning though. Try to get a good angle finder or mitre block to make your cuts. Don't buy the corner sections because I've found that on most corners they don't fit properly and need perfect 90 degree angles to look any good. So best to make the corners yourself with a good variable angle mitre block.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have used a load of Artex sculptured coving ....... interesting enough to look better than standard concave coving ..... it's a standard gypsum plaster in paper skin, and fits easy enough.

I also used some of the Artex plaster coving ........... this is a REAL BITCH .......... so far 9 packs of it have turned up and have been broken when opened ... awaiting 3rd delivery currently.

It is also a pain to fix ... VERY brittle, you have to be very careful once you have put adhesive on the back, and carry it on edge - or it will snap.

It sticks to wall well, but you also have top screw it and it is very slow to have to drill, countersink and screw fix each length as you go.

However it does look superb, IK used 'KISS' form the Artex designer range.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes