Coving

I'm going to put up coving to cover up the gaps between my new dry-lined ceiling (see my other thread) and the existing walls.

I always planned to use good old-fashioned plaster coving, which is kind of like plasterboard but coving shaped. I'd fix it with coving adhesive and pin it in with small nails until set. I know the alternative is polystyrene coving but this doesn't have the same quality finish and is more difficult to cut squarely.

When I was at B&Q last night I noticed a third option - it's a coving which at first glance looks identical to plaster coving but is extremely light. It has a paper finish (like plasterboard) but on close inspection it seems to be manufactured from some sort of plastic/polystyrene. It is cheap, light and comes with free mitered ends (saving some time I'm sure)....

Anyone got any experience of this new fangled coving?

Reply to
Tony

No, but I can recommend the "Covemaster" paper covered polystyrene that they also sell with straight ends. You buy the appropriate mitres seperately for internal or external corners.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Having put all three up I can compare:

The real stuff is best but it's heavy, awkward, tricky to cut and expensive - if you aren't properly renovating a Victorian building don't bother. At £10 a metre, accidentally dropping a piece from the top of a ladder is a soul destroying experience. The joints can be immaculate though.

Dense blown poly is (IMHO) crap and even when painted you can see exactly what it's made of. Cutting the cheap stuff is a pain (bobbles) and if the adhesive isn't really wet it slips off onto the cat.

Paper wrapped poly. goes up very easily - that is to say one can actually carry it up a ladder when it's laden with adhesive. The painted finish is as good as anything else. It's superior to dense blown poly in every respect. You can cut it with a kitchen knife but I still use a fine saw.

Now, maybe I'm just thick but IME once one has made oneself a cutting jig, one should cut and glue a short inner and a short outer mitre to act as an aide-memoir. Or keep same in shed.

Chips.

Reply to
Chips

Real plaster coving - something like plasterboard in construction - is nothing like that price. You're referring to some type of ornamental cornice at 10 quid a metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've only ever used the Blue Hawk(?) stuff but as far as ready cut mitres are concerned I'm sure that sounds fine but it's a bit unlikely that your walls will be exactly 90 degrees will they .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

"Tony" wrote

The good thing about the plaster cove is that, if fitted well, it bridges the wall/ceiling joint. The lighter options will, I would expect, move more with the ceiling and show the cracks sooner.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

As stuart pointed out preset mitred coving is ludicrus as no two walls are true.

Go to a builders yard first you might find the good stuff cheaper there? Plaster coving in my local DIY buiders yard is 22GBP for 44ft but that's just 4" half moon,nothing fancy

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What's that, then?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What the L are you on about. :-P

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

^^^ What's that stupid thing supposed to convey?

I asked "what is your local DIY builders yard?".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Probably one thats not in your neck of the woods.

Jems DIY

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I just wondered whether it was a DIY/hardware shop, or a BM. Possibly it's in between, like Wickes.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for all your help.

In the end I used Covemaster (paper wrapped poly) which looks identical to the plaster coving I have in the rest of my house but is *much* lighter, and I was able to do the entire job (a 4m x 3m room with 5 internal corners and 1 external corner) on my own in two and a half hours. The coving came with pre-mitred ends which were very helpful (the corners were pretty much 90 degrees) and I could cut it to length using a kitchen knife which saved time.

All in all I am very pleased with the result.

Reply to
Tony