Coving

I'm looking to put up some coving in the living room next weekend.

Can anyone give me any tips or recommendations? It's my first try at it.

Reply to
Goonerak

Cur to length and check the mitres fit before putting adhesive on one of them.

Reply to
Mike

If it's plaster coving pin it up until dry with panel pins tacked into the wall and ceiling alongside (not through) the edges of the coving. I will always remember the first length of coving I put up, standing proudly admiring it for about 30 seconds until it crashed to the floor - we p*ssed ourselves laughing - must have been having a good day that day :-)

Also don't worry too much about gaps in between pieces, most of the houses I have put up coving in have not had true walls and so no matter how good I've cut the mitres they haven't always matched perfectly. Just fill the gaps with filler and sand to profile, no one can tell after its painted.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

use the cove cutting guage to mark the wall,then insert some small pins to support the cove as you fiddle about with it,makes life just that much easier.The pins can be removed and filled after it has set

Reply to
Alex

Don't use coving adhesive, use Artex. Much easier to work with, and sands down easily.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Use plaster coving. Measure lengths a couple of inches over length - form mitre at one end, making sure it's the right way round, then cut to correct length at the square end. Good luck. BobS

Reply to
BobS

The paper covered polystyrene coving is *far* easier to handle and fix and looks just as good once it's painted.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

agreed. I wouldn't go back to plaster coving.

RT

Reply to
[news]

What he said.

Reply to
Huge

I agree with the easier to handle and fix - it is much lighter. I worry about its resistance to fire. BobS

Reply to
BobS

life's too short ;-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like it's the paper covered polysterene stuff for me.

Reply to
Goonerak