covering/removing black silicon

the bloke who fitted my worktop and upstand used black silicon along the top of the upstand and its a bit messy and not a straight line. how best can i achieve a straight line here, i know it cant be painted on directly. do i have to remove it all or can i prime it somehow before painting and masking off to get a straight line? thanks

Reply to
benpost

Can you not get him to sort it . If not then probably silicone eater after removing as much as you can beforehand . When replacing it use,as you suggest,masking tape ..and you can also get profile devices to make the filling neater .Elch Fugenboy by name .I think Screwfix( amongst others) sell them

Reply to
the realfictitious

Are you sure you didn't mean black *silicone*?

A very different substance to silicon ...

As Wikipedia says on silicon: "Not to be confused with silicone".

On silicone: "Not to be confused with the element silicon".

Bruce

That's twice I have seen such a correction today .I'm sure we all know what is meant .:-)

Reply to
the realfictitious

ISTM that at least 50% of non-regular posters to uk.d-i-y appear not to know the difference. Perhaps it's time they found out.

Reply to
Bruce

benpost,

Are you refering to a bead of silicone running across the top of the upstand and onto the wall?

If that is the case, it may be possible to get a sharp knife and carefully cut this bead along the top of the upstand and then peel (scrape) it away from the wall leaving a flat surface that you could 'cut' the paint into.

*Reminder* - if you use this method, take not to damage the top of the upstand.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Your fount knowledge knows no-bounds Bruce - now could you dig deep into that fount, and give the OP the answer he's looking for rather than a pedantic reply?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Have you ever tried cutting silicone to leave a good flat surface ? .It's a bit like trying to cut rubber with a sharp knife..

The "only" answer imho to the OP's problem is either get the fitter back to remove the silicone and do the job properly or do what I previously suggested .

Reply to
the realfictitious

Did you mean my fount *of* knowledge?

If so, it knows its all-too limited bounds only too well.

Reply to
Bruce

Your fount of knowledge knows no bounds, Cash - now could you dig deep into that fount, and give the OP an answer that actually works, rather than the nonsensical suggestion you just made?

No, I thought not. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Pendantic as usual Bruce, but that's what I would expect from a one track, theoretical mind - must be one hell of burden to carry?

I await the response with baited breath - ah, I forgot that you are such a pedant, so I'll correct it before you do - *bated* breath!

There that's better *eg*

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I want silicon breast implants..flashing LEDS and all!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually sharp scalpel plus peel works very well to reduce silicone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you meant "pedantic".

Those of you who won't make the effort needed to use correct spelling, grammar and pronunciation - or didn't make the effort needed to learn them at school - are destined never to be able to get a point across.

Now what was your point, exactly?

Reply to
Bruce

yebbut, silicon's as cheap as chips.

Reply to
PeterC

... and about as useful for sealing a gap between an upstand and a wall.

Reply to
Bruce

Yes to reduce the amount of silicone but to do what Cash suggested

Reply to
the realfictitious

Not really true - the more intelligent reader will be able to discern the point in spite of the occasional error.

Reply to
John Rumm

Two options really - cut with sharp knife to remove the bulk of it, then reseal neatly (unless you can cut neatly enough to to just paint after), or, apply additional sealant over the top and tool that to a better finish.

Using something like a Fugi tool, you should be able to apply a neat bead of a variety of sizes - one should be large enough to cover the existing wobbly edge.

Reply to
John Rumm

Silicone

Reply to