Cover for Honeywell ST699 Programmer/heating control??

Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows how to use the timer but managed to turn the whole heating off last night, and wondered why the house was a tad cold this morning: not good at this time of year, especially just now). The documentation doesn't indicate anything and Google doesn't throw up much. The shape of the housing suggests it could take a cover, but it doesn't seem like there is anything readily available. I haven e-mailed Honeywell as well in case they respond/have any ideas. Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf solution, or perhaps a DIY solution? Thanks

Allan

But won't she just remove the cover and fiddle with the controlls anyway?

Maybe buy a new timer, fit it in a hidden location only you know, and disconnect the contact wires from the existing one... the old unconnected room stat trick :)

Reply to
Gazz

for their heating, and they're not all old or young - many are simply clueless.

You could fit an alternative control somewhere, and leave the existing one as a dummy which doesn't actually control the system.

For a 90 year old at home every day, do you actually want it to switch off at any point? You could just hardwaire it on, and use a programmable room stat to handle night setback if you need it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:kdc0t7$hgp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Andrew makes a good point. Timers are a very poor way of controlling the temperature. It would be better to fit a programmable stat. Perhaps some are tamper proof.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Make sure that any displays and indicator lights still work as expected, they may be dotty but not daft. Of course you'll then get the call that the radiators are on or off when the "controller" is saying the opposite...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Allan writes

Not that I've ever come across

Superglue the sliders - that'll stop her

sounds like whatever you try, she'll fiddle

Reply to
geoff

I got an e-mail reply from Honeywell, quite quickly and quite helpful. They suggested that the only cover was a locking cover

TG509, TG510, TG511, TG512 Versaguard Universal Thermostat Guards

Allan

PS: NIN seems to have lost my initial post, and a couple of replies, but GG shows them all. I am therefore constrained to reply to a reply (IYSWIM) rather than replying to my original post: apologies.

Reply to
Allan