cove lighting

Evening all, i've been wanting to create that cove light effect in my bedroom.

After some research i was recommended rope lighting instead of the expensive Xenon strips normally used in offices, larger buildings etc. So i would like to mount the roplight up about 4-5inches below ceiling height round perimeter of my bedroom.

Had a good ole google and can't find any prefabricated coving suiting my requirements as you can imagine it needs to hide the rope light itself but not stick out too far, thought about putting a lip at the front, done a cheeky design in 3dsmax, excuse the bleeding of light.

Do i just use timber , was thinking about strips about 65mm wide, with a lip at the front.

How do i fix it to the wall, no more nails? Other wise i drill right through the width of the timber or create and additional vertical strip along the back (so it will look like U-section instead of L) and screw through that, obviously more work. Would be interested to hear about anyone who has done this, happy to offer pics once ive finished it!

cheers,

Kaptain Kremin

Rope lighting or fluorescent tubes (thin ones) can be used above normal coving. The new coving is fixed below the existing cornice and the lighting is installed into the gap which is created. The angle the coving creates by fixing it against the wall only gives enough space to hide rope or fluorescent lighting behind it.

Reply to
BigWallop