coupling nuts

Hi, Does anyone know where I can buy 1/4 x 20 coupling nuts from in the UK?

I've searched ebay, screwfix, many other hardware places, but I can't seem to get hold of them

Here is a picture of them if you don't know what they look like

any one knows where I can get them, please could you email me on factory51(REMOVETHIS)@googlemail.com

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
Factory51

Commonly used in electrical assemblies, and available from the likes of CPC/Farnell/RS, etc.

You read replies here.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

==================== If you only want a few you could buy worktop clamps and use the nuts which are for some reason the nuts you're looking for.

See here:

Mart also sell them.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

thread type and length. If you mean 1/4 inch AF (approx) by 20mm long they'd be M4 x 20, and the RS number is 222-496. They're chrome plated brass and cost 0.17 each plus VAT - but come in packs of 50 minimum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi, are the worktop clamps the same size of thread?

Thanks

Reply to
Factory51

Ok Cheers, they are to fit a camera tripod screw thread for a project that I'm doing at uni, I've been told that 1/4 is the correct thread?

Reply to
Factory51

On 1 Jul 2006 06:38:55 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" had this to say:

Yes - correctly 1/4" BS Whitworth, but 1/4" UNC will just about fit.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah - right. Yes, that's 1/4 BSW and much bigger than the spacers I've mentioned. It's also the tread size used for microphone stands. Have a look at Canford Audio

give your local disco/music shop a try.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does RS not have the ones I want then?

If so which are the rs codes for the 1/4 BSW

thanks

Simon

Reply to
Factory51

==================== Those I have are M6 thread and the nut is about 17mm long.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've had a good look on that Canford site, and they cost =A313 each! for what want.

I can't find the right ones on the rs site, can anyone point me to them please

Thanks

Reply to
Factory51

I was wondering if they were called something else and found this site which I found interesting considering the depth of my engineering ignorance:

Weatherlawyer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" saying something like:

Make your own. Cut a piece of hex bar, drill and tap it the right thread. If you've got a few to do, it's cost effective compared to that price and is more in keeping with the spirit of this ng.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Too much trouble that one mate, i'd rather just buy them ready done, i'd order the ones from RS, but I dont know which ones they are.

Reply to
Factory51

As I said before, the largest they do in this style has an M4 thread, and the outside size of the spacer (across flats) is approx 1/4" so it couldn't even be modified by re-tapping to suit.

This sort of thing for camera or microphone use tends to be limited production (as you've found) so expensive. But you might find a mass produced cheaper item in a disco equipment etc store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RS 276-522 is M6, described as "studding connectors". I think I found them in the section that deals with suspending things from factory roof girders.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Ah - right. ;-) M6x1 does sort of 'go in' a few threads of a 1/4 Whit but not really to be recommended, given the cost of some cameras.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)