Couple of floor-tiling questions...

I'm preparing ro tile my hallway with ceramic tiles. Is it really necessary to remove the skirting boards before tiling, or is it considered OK to tile up to the skirting boards (leaving them in place)?

In my bathroom, I'm preparing to lay self-adhesive vinyl tiles onto the chipboard floor. I have swept the dust off the floor, but is any additional preparation advisabe? (Painting the chipboard with a PVA solution, for example)?

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

All the vinyl tiles that I have ever laid reccommended dilute PVA first. It doesn't take that long to dry.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Tiling up to the skirting looks a bit naff IMO, plus you have to be very accurate with your cutting to get a straight edge

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:pYV3o.25659$Sr.22908@hurricane:

Thank you; that's a good point. What is the usual practice concerning door architraves? I'm guessing they ease it off at the bottom, then cut a bit off, so that the tile can go under it when it is nailed back in place, Is that usual practice?

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Jonathan wrote in news:39ffc27d-f8b8-4d7e-88f7- snipped-for-privacy@5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

Thanks. What is a cheap way to obtain/create diluted PVA? My local builders merchants are Jewson, Travis Perkins and B&Q. I need to treat about 20 sq mtrs (the floor and the walls). Is it generally cheaper to buy ready- diluted solition? ....or buy cheap wood glue and water it down? (if the latter, what ration of glue:to water)?

Al

Reply to
AL_z

An ideal excuse to treat yourself to a Bosch PMF 180E :-)

Reply to
Mike Clarke

You can cut them without moving them. You just need a handsaw without the handle (or an extremely bendy saw) so that you can run the blade flat against the tile at 90 degs to the architrave. Make that an old saw as there is usually a nail or two at the bottom.

Reply to
stuart noble

B&Q do their own pva IIRC. I use 4 water/1 pva for most things (roughly). Difficult stuff to measure accurately

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:G1_3o.291400$tH4.160963@hurricane:

Excellent tip, thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Al

Reply to
AL_z

harry wrote in news:c26c08ba-6bd0-4868-af47- snipped-for-privacy@t10g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

Thanks - I'll look for those. I do have a stack of self-adhesive tiles which I bought for about 25p each, but if I can get a better quality tile without the self-adhesive, I may be interested.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

I see. Is there a better preparation you can recommend?

Al

Reply to
AL_z

harry wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 07:52

I went over my chip floor with 2 coats of ronseal exterior woodstain (had it lying around, substitute any varnishy stuff of your choice).

That soaked in, firemed up and waterproofed the surface and gave a dust free skin for the tiles to stick to. Only on lifted slightly and that got evo- stik'd back and stayed down.

I wouldn't use PVA either - not stable in the presence of water.

Reply to
Tim Watts