Countertop kitchen faucet delimna

I just had a stilestone countertop installed with the intention of useing my previous kitchen faucet...a double handle with spray ( 4 holes )...to my dismay, because of the new undermounted sink, I could not get the locknuts to make contact with the nipple, because of the difference in thickness of the countertop. How can I remedy the situation, hopefully with that same faucet? A couple of plumbing supply stores were puzzled..they said they do not have a nipple extension. How does one look for ask for a faucet that has to be installed on a 1 1/4" top?

Reply to
Anthona

I assume from the use of "faucet" (aka a "tap" in the UK) you are probably posting from the US? There are some differences between UK and US plumbing, so a photo of the tap would be very helpful so we can see what exactly the situation is.

Depending on how it secures (some use a large backnut on the pipe connector thread, others have a smaller threaded rod over which fits a horseshoe style washer and a tightening nut), you have a few options.

For the threaded rod style fixings, often the threaded rod is removable and a longer bit of rod could be inserted.

For taps that fix on the pipe connector thread, you may be able to extend it a bit using a BSP reduction fitting. See something like:

number 8284

You would choose the smaller side such that it fits the tap (typically

1/2" BSP for smaller taps), and then fit a larger tap connector to mate with the other end.

The other alternative, and possibly the easiest way forward, would be to reduce the thickness of the worktop at the point the tail of the tap passes through it by machining away some of the wood on the underside. This will obviously be difficult now the worktop is installed. (if it could be done prior to installation then it would be quite simple to route a section away to allow enough clearance). Once fitted, you may be able to achieve a similar result using a wide (say 1") spade or auger bit to drill a chain of holes around the tap mounting hole. Taking care to only drill say 1/2" into the wood. That may allow the existing nut to be fitted.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's normal construction process for the threaded bits on your faucet to be separate and uncrewable. They may be glued/sealed in place. If they can be got out, (heat and violence possibly needed) longer ones could be fitted. The other possibility (if there's room) is to find a bit of copper pipe that fits over the threaded bit and solder it on. If necesary filing the threads down. A lot of work/expense unless you can do this yourself.

If you have to buy another faucet, I would ask the worktop manufacturer for advice as to where.

Reply to
harry