"Council" Tip policy?

Page 2 of 6

They walk a tightrope of trying to reduce the waste, whilst not making it so painful people just dump it in the nearest pond or ditch, where it's very much more expensive to sort out.
Trouble is that like most government initiatives, it's completely misguided. Little of the waste you take to the tip is likely to be able to be reduced in volume, or it's things like garden waste where landfill really isn't harmfull anyway. The waste which should be reduced is the stuff which goes out for the dustmen, and that needs to be tackled at source (where it's designed/supplied) and not at the endpoint when you've finished with it -- it's too late to solve the issue if you're left with something you need to throw out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:02:54 +0000 (UTC), "Mike P"

I agree, and what are the stupid jobsworths going to encourage? That's right, more fly tipping. We pay a ruddy fortune in council tax.
MM

I use two tips; Bristol and Cwmbran.
Bristol has a height limit so low that estate cars have trouble with roofracks. As a result, everyone parks on the road outside (even in marked vans) and drags things in by hand. So instead of excluding "commercial" users, they've just created a litter problem.
No sale or exchange. Any suggestion of this is seen as tantamount to bank robbery.
There's an asbestos skip, and a large compound for fridges.
Cwmbran is smaller, and doesn't do asbestos (AFAIK). There's no height limit, and they're not paranoid over what sort of transport you use.
Punters aren't allowed in the skips, for safety reasons, but anything likely to be useful has already been segregated out by the local wombles and is on the ground outside. They're only too happy to sell this, with a printed receipt and everything. They have a particularly good range of propane cylinders (half full and empty) - my usual reason for shoppng there.

Hmm.... BoF time. I remember Cwmbran when it was mostly green fields, before it became a new town. Just get lost around the place now.
--
Tony Williams.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:40:41 +0000 (GMT), Tony Williams

18th century ? Cwmbran has become rather less built up, just in the time that I've known it. More houses now, but there's also much less industry.

Green fields until about 1950, then construction of the post war new town was started. We lived in Coronation Rd, which was on the old road between Cwmbran and Pontnewydd. All gone now, under the town centre.
--
Tony Williams.

Seems to be a self defeating tactic? So people drive around the corner/into the country and, making sure there is nothing of a personal nature to identify them, in the trash, they dump it on the edge of the road hoping that the next municipal collection will take care of it???? Or it means you have to take the hand trolley or small wheelbarrow along with you in the car in order to get into the tip? In 2000 I noted UK was generally clean; but, travelling by train, there were quite a few backyards and gardens that could do with some clean up into the back of a truck. It's much the same here btw! But the low height barrier wouldn't work here. About every third to fifth family drives a pickup truck as personal and family transportation, to work, on weekends, to recreational activities, to carry a boat or canoe or a ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) etc. Pickups are somewhat tall; even our 2002 two wheel drive small Nissan. Even a regular land Rover would be too tall by the sound of it? Here many family owned 'pickups' are well equipped with air conditioning, cruise control, limited slip differentials and/or four wheel drive, CD players, even 'entertainment units for the children in the back seat! Some have three or four doors and in all respects are as useful/comfortable as a car for a family with two adults and say, three children. Plus the ability to tow a caravan, a camper unit, carry items for the weekend, pick up the occasional appliance; i.e. all round use. The first cost is on par with a car and cost the same to license and (for private use) insure. On our street there must be at least five pickups including two owned by people in their 70s. e.g. Later today I'll to pick up a used clothes dryer that we lent someone about 18 months ago (they are moving); if it is still in good shape it will come home for minor repairs in our garage; (our current dryer is 41+ years old!). If it's defunct I'll stop by the metal recyclers, they are often open until 6.00 PM, right next door to the municipal dump which closes at 5.00 PM and push it out the back of the pickup into the appropriate scrap pile. When it comes to dumping at the tip itself they note the vehicle plate number and if I tip more than six times in, I believe it's three months, I must buy the same permit required by a 'commercial' collector. It's handled pretty reasonably though. If, for example, one is doing a big d-i-y job and explain that you WILL be back with a few more loads before the job is finished and then won't be back again until spring or autumn clean up they'll be pretty lenient. Or you borrow someone else's pickup for half a day for that extra load! Those UK dips don't sound too user friendly? There's gotta be a better way????? Terry.
Terry wrote:

Yes, I tokk mine, was refused entry, and banged my head on teh barrier. That puts it at abouit 5'6" above ground. MOST carparks have 2.2m - comnfortably over 6 foot as the height limit.

They are designed so the governemnt set targets of waste reduction can be met. If yiuy bury your toxic waste in teh neighbous pind, set fire to a lorry load of car tyres on Ilkely moor, no one gets to put it 'through the books'

Yes, but not wihout changing EU laws and several governments.

Where I am in North London we have a modern waste disposal centre (used to be just a wall you dumped everything against). Everything type of rubbish is marked out - concrete, wood etc separately. There is a height restriction and vans are only allowed by appointment. I wanted to dump some bricks from a garden wall and borrowed a mates van. I booked it all in advance. Upon arrival I was asked for my details and had to go to the office to confirm everything. While I'm dumping my stuff two other vans also turn up, drop their waste and leave yet they don't get asked anything at all. Nice to know things haven't changed at my local dump.
StealthUK wrote:

Maybe a case of; "But guvner; we knows them fellers! They was ere afore."????? PS. BTW do they have to show a 'dumping permit' in the windscreen?

It's for private waste only, commercial waste is supposedly not allowed but if private waste does exceed certain amounts then you may have to pay for it. There are no permits that I know of. One of the vans had an Irish number plate. Last time I used the dump for getting rid of old bricks (10 years back) I was confronted with 'the guvnor' of the dump who told me it was no longer under the council but owned by Lee Valley Water. "You can't dump that here, he said, but if you look after the boys they might help you out". I called the council to find he was talking a load of sh*te.
It's all backhanders with these fellas. This is nothing though, my sister has a new story to tell every day about the council she works for....stealing vans...crashing council vehicles while doing their private work....on and on...and they get away with it! Not one of them have been sacked. The biggest scam there is to claim a council vehicle has hit your car. Many of the claimants are council employees themselves. In one case a council worker claimed he had hit his private car with the council vehicle he was driving, claimed and was paid out. In almost every case the vehicle is worth around 1000 so it gets written off. Rant over.....(bloody hell...I'll be reading the Daily Mail soon)
snipped-for-privacy@karman.demon.co.uk says...

My pet subject!!
I took some mixed rubbish recently, some general junk, and some green waste. I offloaded the general, and was about to swing out, then back in agaoin to get to the green area, when I spied a green bin in amongst the general ones.
I started to offload my branches, grass etc, when up came one of the site guys, who told me that wasn't for my use. 'Who is it for?' I asked politely. 'That's for the people who aren't allowed to bring their vehicles on site - we put it nearer the entrance so they don't have so far to walk'. I suppose it makes sense to somebody...
I also got rapped for taking my trailer in - 'OI you - can't you read the notice about trailers?' came the delicate lilting voice. I looked at the notice to see 'Only single axle, unbraked trailers allowed on site' I looked at my trailer and saw only one axle and no brakes. 'What's the problem?' I asked. 'It's too big' came the reply. My trailer is 8' by 4'. Still couldn't see the problem. 'When we say single axle and unbraked, we mean the little camping trailers' 'Wouldn't it be better to state a size then, rather than some unconnected specification?' 'Get smart with me and I'll bar you from the site!'
Maybe I'm just living in the wrong time?
Gary

The people they turn away just 'fly tip'.
I've seen on more than one occasion piles of rubbish left in the street 100 yards away from the local tip. If someone had gone to the trouble to drive to that location the would have had to drive past the tip as its on a one way street.
--
Alan
Alan wrote:

Mmm. I think I will do that next time. Go in at 2am and just offload the stuff in front of the gates....and let the surly jobsworths sort it out themselves.

Gary, just remember one thing on your journey through life in this Britain of ours: It is staffed by a nation of jobsworths. They are everywhere, like flies in summer. Nothing can be done, I'm afraid. The whole country is afflicted. Bring back Esther Rantzen and her cap award, I say!
MM
Mike Mitchell wrote:

Esther Rantzen. The bigeest jobswoth of them all really.

kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says...

Not knowing much about the inner workings of other countries, is this a peculiarly British way, or does every other country have the same breed of people?
They do seem to be breeding out of control in GB at present - maybe an organised cull is the way forward. Or even a replacement for foxhunting - we could all get on horses, with ravenous hounds, and spend Sundays going round the council tips - hell, any council facility, and running them all to ground! I see My Little Tony has some sort of consultation thing going at the moment, maybe I should suggest it ;-)

A cull would reduce everyone's council tax bill. To keep next years charges the same as this years charges a 15 percent reduction would be a good start. To reduce the charges to a tenth of the present level a cull of the workers engaged on needless roadside curb replacement and road calming measures would be more beneficial.
--
Alan
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:39:02 +0000, Alan

Don't talk to me about road mending and council tax! On the street where I live potholes regularly appear, are filled in, then as regularly as ever, return. What happens? Is there a magic road gremlin which appears during the night and eats away at the freshly mended hole? Nah! Nothing that complicated. It's great British workmanship. This is how it works. The council routinely (about once every six months) inspects certain roads and updates a list of potholes. Back at Mission Control, aka the warm and comfy council offices, Mr Jobsworth contracts a road mending crew to pop along and do the necessary. Once there, said diggers (no, not Australians, they'd probably do a proper job) tip some asphalt into the hole, tamp it down with something flat, usually their heads, but failing that, a broom or something similar. Then they bugger off. Within days (literally sometimes) the edges of the hole have started to crumble while the road gremlin looks on in amazement from the pavement, thinking he could never eat fast enough to keep up with such lackadaisical scamping. But Mr Jobsworth in 1 Council Chambers ticks a little box on his list, saying "job done, increase council tax by 537 per cent" and goes back to sleep for another six months.
MM
Alan wrote:

Or more precisly, the non-workers engaged on standing around idly whilst such schemes are NOT implemented beyond cones, at huge expense..