Council tax valuations

If you own an individual type house, now would be a good time to invite the Pikeys to camp on your front drive. ;-(

Mark

valuation!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We have just managed to get a one-band deduction, backdated for 18 months, by the simple expedient of a £25 ramp out of the french windows and a Part M compliant ground floor. Admittedly we also have to put up with a sprog in a wheelchair but any savings are a bonus :-)

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

But there was somebody on the radio the other day from the Local Government whatever, saying that there would be as many reductions as increases, and that overall it would be a revenue-neutral exercise. He wouldn't be lying now, would he? That sort of thing just doesn't happen in politics, and certainly not before an election...

Reply to
Gary Cavie

Oh, sorry, I didn't hear that.

No, of course he wouldn't have lied. Not a politician.

Thanks for telling us that, I look forward to our reduction :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh sure, and the Scottish parliament would cost only £40m... (That's what the same people told us).

Reply to
JoeJoe

In message , Gary Cavie wrote

Was this the same interview where it was stated that in some areas of Wales, where the valuations have already taken place, the local council raised _more_ money from this property tax? Central government then reduced the amount of money it paid. The local council were left with a revenue-neutral result.

Reply to
Alan

Not so, according to 'Moneybox' yesterday.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I look forward to hearing from those who do - on uk.d-i-y.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm particularly hacked off about it, because when we extended our house about 3 years ago, one of the things we looked into before doing so was what effect it would have on my council tax banding. We were assured that it wouldn't affect it; there was an exemption on paying any extra until we ever came to sell the house; at that point it would be subject to revaluation for the new owners. Fine, we thought. But now the goalposts have been moved - why am I not surprised? - and apparently my property is to be re-banded at its full new value.

Checking at

shows a large asterisk against my address, placed there by the LA when they gave us planning permission, denoting that we would need re-banding when we sold the property - so, not much chance we'll be overlooked.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi Mary,

I seriously doubt that, living as I do in Sevenoaks, I will be blessed with a reduction. But I'll let the NG know either way (if I remember!)

Rgsd Richard

Reply to
Richard

Useful site. But it wouldn't recognise my address until I removed the apostrophe from St Martin's!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well! That's it then! "They said so on the BBC (Radio 4?) ... it's unthinkable that the BBC would ever say anything _bad_ about government policy ... "Things can only get better"'; ... "24 hours to save the NHS" ...; " ... which can be deployed within forty-five minutes ... "; What exactly happened to the DG who said something that didn't quite endorse the Nu-Labor world-eye-view"?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Poor old Greg :-(

But of course it wasn't anything to do with Our Glorious Leader ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I believe the politicians when they say no overall increase in council tax. How ever I don't think they are telling you everything.

What I thing will happen will be more of Labours grand redistribution of wealth. I.e. council tax in the south will go up in the south and go down in the north. Hence no overall increase.

I.e. there will be one banding systems for the country, not one for each area, and since houses are typically cheaper in the north they will pay less, and the extra taxes taken in the south will be sent to the north.

Can't wait for May 5th

Reply to
Furby

That would be nice. But I don't think it will happen. The re-assessment is for the what used to be called rateable value of properties isn't it? The amount you pay NEVER goes down.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not sure on that point , but a large amount of the council tax from the south of England has been sent up north. The south is effectively subsidising the north's council tax. That's one of the reasons council tax is so high in the south of England.

Reply to
Furby

If councils are still raising the same revenue from council tax, then if, say, since the last valuation properties have double in value then surely the band rates should double. the only people who should see an increase are those who have built extension etc., thereby increasing the value. Yours Naively

Reply to
Broadback

Hurrah :-)

But that still doesn't mean that ours goes down ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Our council (Leeds) has a greater income every year from rates/community charge/council tax no matter what the 'banding'.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher