Council tax and new ways..........

I don't. It's just the opposite.

I would like to see diversity and self management without the government involved.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Whereas I would like to see diversity with the LEA taking over the management and letting schools get on with teaching - with the government limited to providing the money - just as it was before the Thatcher government made a mess of it all...

Reply to
John Cartmell

Well..... from experience of the independent sector, it is possible to run a school quite satisfactorily with a secretary and a part time bursar.

There is no need to waste money on paying people in LEAs to be involved in adding extra layers of management and bureaucracy.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All she did is introduce layers of management in all government depts, upping the running costs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We find that the LEA can provide extremely useful help and support.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I guess that there is always an exception.

However, personally I would rather make my own arrangements for help and support and if need be pay for them explicitly when needed. In that respect, I see that as part of the school's responsibility in their delivery of education. They are, after all, much closer to the situation. The extra tiers of management and administration don't exist in the independent sector, so I have a hard job seeing why they are apparently needed in the public sector.

Reply to
Andy Hall