Could this be the end of modified vehicles?

this comes into force my Land Rover/Range Rover hybrid is doomed!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It does say This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

What does the "further approval" mean ? A lot of money I would guess. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Worth reading the discussion here:

Phil

Umm, nasty!

OK so where would a vehicle needing SVA(1) stand? - OK I guess as it will be 'original' unless changed after first registration - I hope that is the case or my sporty run about (home build) is worthless and un-usable :- (

I guess a 'modified' vehicle could go the SVA route but?

Avpx

(1) Single Vehicle Approval - like an MOT on steroids & some

Reply to
The Nomad

What defines "modification"? The mention of "components" implies that if you fit a Britpart "component" rather than OEM then the vehicle is "modified".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And my spitfire. FUCK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strictly interpreted it means that no car that is not anymore quite like it rolled off the production line is not legit.

So no chipping, no fast road cams, lowered suspension, aftermarket wheels exhausts or brake upgrades..no pimped bodywork. No go faster stripes, lettering..even a respray is technically illegal, as are any non type approved bodywork repairs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strictly interpreted, it would seem to mean you can't change the radio or fit something like Tracker without getting the vehicle approved.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Bit of a gay hairdressers car anyway so no loss surely? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If it prevents chav scum with saxos and corsas with straight through exhausts driving round like a bunch of c*nts, and gangsters in their 4x4's with blacked out windows, and tossers fitting blue LEDS to their vehicles then on the surface IMHO it's a very good idea.

Bit of a bummer if you have a vehicle that is lethal with manufacturer supplied brakes but drives and stops like it should with a thousand quid AP Racing upgrade.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Maybe even just changing the tyres for another brand. Or battery. Or brake pads. Etc.

The car makers could well be behind this - after all they're only interested in new car sales and servicing them using their own parts.

But there are vast numbers of people involved in the manufacture and selling of aftermarket parts - let alone 'tuning' bits and pieces. And of course effectively ban classics, etc, and the whole show scene would collapse - which is a pretty big industry too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All these things are already against the law. But it isn't enforced. Police too busy doing more important things. Or more likely easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a crap idea and it won't stop any of those things as most of those are illegal *right now* and nothing is done.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was a bit more macho when I'd finished. Bloody fast and the rear axle was boled down hard to make it corner. Servo brakes as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Frankly I dont give a toss as long as I cant hear ther Kw bass speakers...

Well yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We get 'collector plates' over here, which allow driving to and from a show, but not a lot else - my truck had them when I got it, but it wasn't difficult to get it swapped over to normal plates (and the vehicle's old enough that it only costs me about 20 quid a year in road tax)

It does sound like a complete load of bollocks. I put a rev limiter and electronic ignition on the last Stag that I had in the UK, and it seems that would have fallen foul of this proposal. Heck, it had oversize pistons (20 thou I think) following a rebore - I wonder if those would have been a problem, too...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Not a fan of basic freedoms then

NT

Reply to
NT

The usual result of freedom is a vehicle with zero suspension travel, that is dragging its arse on the ground, with stop lights and indicators that are blacked out or with overbright dazzling HID lamps fitted to vehicles with poor pitch control (due to s**te lowered suspension and incorrect damping) Typically with an exhaust shaped object that doesn't silence and that scares every living thing within half a mile, with massively oversized tyres increasing the possibility of aquaplaning, with no regards to wheel offset or correct tyre section width for the rim. They will also have number plates that are unreadable by ANPR.

Chances are that the reversed baseball cap wearing driver will also be under the influence of drugs or alcohol and have a significantly higher risk of accident involving injury to others.

Reply to
The Other Mike

those are already offences.

or with overbright dazzling HID lamps fitted to vehicles with poor

Those are already MOT failures

Typically

An offence alreday

and that scares every living

Another offence and an MOT failuer

Also currently offences.

So what you are saying is that these vehicles wouldn#t pass an MOT and are already committing several CU type offences and the drivers are already beyond legal limits of drug and alcohol abuse, so why more legislation?

When the existing is not being applied?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I well remember that song from my early days. It was one of the songs that really stuck with me as back then I could see the truth of it, with mass-produced houses springing up on hillsides and the people in them doing all the same sort of things.

50 years ago it was happening and things haven't got any better.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon