SCART to DVI or VGA : Could Someone Possibly Direct In Right Direction Please ?

It's quite hard to find a PC LCD monitor that can do 50Hz. They exist, but they're pretty rare.

PC CRT monitors flicker like mad at 50Hz. Faster phosphors I think. Unwatchable IME!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

I wonder how well it works? Here is another link:

Michael Chare

to carry composite video and RGB video signals."

SCART carries RGB and/or composite. There's no component video available on it.

Reply to
Yeti

Interesting, that was the way I thought it was- in fact I was sure I'd used RGB on SCART in the past. However, Gareth P thinks otherwise- perhaps two versions of SCART?

Of course, there are still the sync issue but that seems to depend on getting (very) lucky with a monitor.

To the original poster, rather thar buying a Freeview box, consider a USB DTV converter- they can be got for about the same price and you can record programmes on your PC. You can even have a mini TV screen in the corner of your PC screen so you can watch TV and "surf" at the same time- if that is you thing ;-)

--

73 Brian G8OSN/W8OSN
Brian Reay

You are quite right, but there may be componemt video out on the box's menu sent to a different connector. It's rare that set top boxes output RGB on SCART but this one might (most DVD players do and most modern TV's take it in as it's higher quality than composite)

different versions of cable yes - but these days most are wired on every pin.

and they do audio which is a benefit, other wise you'd have to break out the audio on the scart lead to speakers as well as the monitor. They can be had for as little of tenner plus you can record to hdd, but the noise of the PC fan can be an issue when watching telly.

Reply to
M0WWS

Take a note of the LCD panel's model number (NOT the monitor, the LCD panel itself) and change the controller board for one of these:

may also need a SCART to comp/left/right adaptor.

Reply to
Chronos

It's quite hard to find a PC LCD monitor that can do 50Hz. They exist, but they're pretty rare.

PC CRT monitors flicker like mad at 50Hz. Faster phosphors I think. Unwatchable IME!

Cheers, David.

I found this spec for my monitor:

Product Features and Technical Details Product Features a.. Display Type: TFT LCD b.. Screen size: 19" c.. Resolution: 1280 x 1024 d.. Contrast Ratio: 700:1 e.. Brightness: 250 cd/m^2 f.. Response time: 8 ms g.. Horizontal Viewing Angle: 150 degrees h.. Vertical Viewing Angle: 135 degrees i.. Display colours: 16.2M Technical Details

Product Details: 19" Hanns TFT Monitor Device Type: Flat Screen TFT Monitor roduct Model: Hanns HU196 Contrast Ratio: 700:1 Digital Video: Digital Visual Interface (DVI) Image Brightness: 250 nits Viewing Angle: 150/135 degrees Colour Support: 16.2 million colours Features: Analog audio input port Additional Information: Power: 100VAC-240VAC, 50 / 60Hz (non AC adapter type) Warranty: 1 Year

Reply to
the_constructor

Did you mean to write that? They've been standard offerings on all the CRTs I've ever owned and/or looked at buying...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Reply to
Java Jive

More to the point, if you have one of the rare true multisync VGA monitors, you may have a fighting chance...

Reply to
John Rumm

Slightly inaccurate. There are a few SCART'ed devices (DVD Players, Freeview boxes - Netgem i-Player is one) that do provide internal menus to switch YPbPr over to the RGB pins in the SCART lead, but it's not an official feature.

Also, in the same vein it's been populary used for S-Video connections. Neither was this written in the original design brief.

i.e.

"Make a hideous connector compulsory to keep Japanese TVs out of France"

Reply to
Adrian C

Would not putting YPbPr into an RGB feed produce a PAL picture having the washed-out appearance of an off-air NTSC picture?

Reply to
Gareth

Reply to
Java Jive

Go down to the local recycle centre. They will have a skip full of CRT televisions. 90% in working order, people are going out and buying flatscreen TVs. If they won't let you in the skip hang about and intercept someone. OR. Advertise for a TV on your local freecycle website.

I am the group owner of a recycle group and have tried that but to date, not received any replies. Thanks for the advice though. As for going to the tip and getting one, unfortunately, I don't think that I would be able to carry it on my mobility scooter

Reply to
the_constructor

There is a notice at our local council recycling centre saying that anyone caught taking things away from the centre will be prosecuted for theft.

Reply to
Walt Davidson

Which is why you hang around on public land just outside the gate, or else talk to the other punters BEFORE they have removed the goods from the back of their cars.

Reply to
Gareth

Most SCARTs output RGB, however it won't work with most VGA monitors. The line frequency for TVs is about half of what VGA expects. Most VGA monitors will just ignore the signal, some old ones might fry.

Reply to
dennis

I've had several - scarts were normal for connecting eg DVD players, video players, freeview tuners before LCD took over.

Reply to
Clive George

If by STB you mean a FreeView box, which make and model *doesn't* have RGB via a SCART? I have one supermarket cheapy that does - as do all my others.

Many also have a second SCART marked 'record' or even VHS. This may not offer RGB, but may offer S-Video as well as composite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All the CRTs I've seen have pins on the end of the neck to connect to which are nothing like a SCART. A CRT *TV set* may well have a SCART. If new enough.

Think that's what was meant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)