Costa Concordia

Anyone know what's happeneed to it ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Still aground

Reply to
Andy Burns

Presumably it is too difficult to weld a patch on the side, pump most of the water out and give it a pull in the appropriate direction with a BIG tug.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I assume that most of the cost in building a liner is the fitting out, none of which is salvageable. So, this one is now just worth however many tons of scrap metal at £100-200 a ton, less the cost of floating her, and less the cost of getting rid of all the junk on board like acres of ruined carpets.

Reply to
GB

AFAIK it's perched on the edge of a steep drop (The Med is very deep) and is or was rather unstable. Add all the usual nonsense about 'environmental impacts' etc and it's probably not as easy as it looks.

Reply to
djc

Isostasy they call it.

The extra weight of the Costa Concordia is pushing down off Italy. Which is causing pressure to build up right across Europe - and at the moment it is spewing a volcano of Costa coffee shops and machines across the UK.

In time, I guess it will stabilise. But if they salvage the CC, maybe the Costas will sink back down into the mire?

Reply to
polygonum

I thought that was essentially what they are going to do. Patch the holes, put some big strops around it, attaching it to the land (to stop it slipping off the ledge) and out to a BFO whinch off shore and pull.

Once refloated I also thought they intended to refit it rather than scrap it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There was a bit on the news the other day about the Arc Royal being scrapped - and I was surprised just how little it was worth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, they took otu all the good stuff...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It should be easy enough to fill with polystyrene foam.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Probably worth a lot more if towed to a beach in Pakistan where there are no costs for removing tons of asbestos or other environmentally unfriendly products. Much of the original cost will have been equipment which is now obsolete or has been removed.

Reply to
alan

Also Norway have had accidents. Our biggest accident is BELLONA. BELLONA make a living by fighting becquerels all over the world. They have a special interest in becquerels from Russia.

The relocation of "Murmansk" has now lasted 18 years:

Reply to
Jo Stein

We're just back from Paphos and were rather surprised by what turned out to be this:

Reentrant

If we're having an 'interesting wreck' or 'my wreck is better than your wreck" contest....!

This is a contender:

Bob Eager

On 11 November 2008, the Norwegian Coastal Administration awarded the

I am more interested in BELLONA.

Reply to
Jo Stein

Becquerels ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

I read a salvage agreement had been signed but nothing since.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is the argument about old oil platforms of course. At the moment they will take them apart due to pollution issues, but the cheapest way is to just sink them in deep water. At the end of the day whatever you have to sell is only worth what somone will pay for it, so if its less than the cost of salvagge then salvage it, if not chop it up.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

1 nucleus decay per second.

The Iodine 123 I was recently injected with had an activity of around 185 MBq. None radioactive iodine tablets to block the thyroid before, another set of iodine tablets 24hrs later and a warning to keep away from young children for 48hrs...

I'd a liked to have a gieger counter to see how active I was and watch the level decay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sure - but it was an odd way of putting it.

Reply to
Tim Streater